William Hague's special advisor resigns

It's his own fault, for putting himself in a position where people may have thought something else was going on.

Perhaps. But then if you're the sort of person like WH that doesn't possibly see anything wrong in it, it's difficult to see how or why anybody else would construe it as something sexual.

When I've been away on scuba diving trips, typically divers will share rooms, sometimes twin rooms, sometimes several to a bunk room. Only a moron would see anything sexual in it. In fact on one diving trip, I did share a twin room with another diver who was gay :o Shock horror I didn't instantaneously turn gay for the night and nobody else assumed otherwise!

But then if you're the sort of person like WH that doesn't possibly see anything wrong in it

Surely he must've thought that by paying for a subordinate to share a room with him, some s*** would hit the fan when (not if) any of the tabloids got hold of this information? If not, then he is extremely naive.

it's difficult to see how or why anybody else would construe it as something sexual.

It's in the nature of the press.

When I've been away on scuba diving trips, typically divers will share rooms, sometimes twin rooms, sometimes several to a bunk room.

Are you an MP? If not, then there's little chance of this information being of any importance to the tabloids. When in the public eye, it's inevitable that you'll be scrutinised by the press for anything that can be manipulated.

Only a moron would see anything sexual in it.

Two words: Tabloid press.

I did share a twin room with another diver who was gay :o Shock horror I didn't instantaneously turn gay for the night and nobody else assumed otherwise!

But, you're not in the public eye and paying for a double room for you and an employee.

. Only a moron would see anything sexual in it. In fact on one diving trip, I did share a twin room with another diver who was gay :o Shock horror I didn't instantaneously turn gay for the night and nobody else assumed otherwise!

I assume your partner would have been as equally understanding if you had shared a room with a female diver.

Its one thing a group of “mates” sharing a room the problems start when you are sharing a room with your boss.

Surely he must've thought that by paying for a subordinate to share a room with him, some s*** would hit the fan when (not if) any of the tabloids got hold of this information? If not, then he is extremely naive.

But naive does not = gay

Two words: Tabloid press.

But if we condemn WH for not realising the tabloids would have a field day, are we ourselves not just capitulating to the media frenzy and their version of what's right and wrong?

I assume your partner would have been as equally understanding if you had shared a room with a female diver.

Its one thing a group of “mates” sharing a room the problems start when you are sharing a room with your boss.

But a man if a differnt thing.

He could have as many women as he wants, and good on him.

But to go with a man, the skin creeps and it is not right.

That's one point of view that has currency.

On the other hand maybe he expects that other people should be as grown up as him? You have to ask yourself which world you would rather live in because there does come a point where you have to live as you see fit and if necessary lead by example.

God help us if sharing a twin room with a colleague is a sign of guilt, and if it is why didn't Labour ban them? Answer: The only people who seem to care are the media. From what I've heard out on the street nobody even really cares if he was involved with a man.

But naive does not = gay

I never said (or care) whether he is gay or not.

But if we condemn WH for not realising the tabloids would have a field day, are we ourselves not just capitulating to the media frenzy and their version of what's right and wrong?

I don't take notice of any snooze-paper, so not me.

I never said (or care) whether he is gay or not.

I don't take notice of any snooze-paper, so not me.

But you seem to be saying WH should not have shared a room simply because of how the tabloids would portray it, so isn't that just giving in to the tabloid mentality?

Archived