William Hague's special advisor resigns

I question the motives of the people behind the rumours and the accusations going around the blogosphere. I can't stand the bloke personally but I detect the unpleasant whiff of old fashioned homophobia rather than any attempts to point out hypocrisy.

if he'd spent the night in a room with a 24yr old woman at public expense I think we might be raising the same eyebrows - this is a proper 'family values' tory who has never been backwards in coming forwards with the homophobia and morality stuff himself - biter bit.

Are we saying that men(or women, but invariably men) who are married/ in long term relationships have an inalienable right to share posh hotel rooms with persons of their choice or fancy - clearly rich Tories think that, but the rest of us tend to think it's a bit seedy.

One minute everyone's condemning MPs for their expenses claims, then they're making up rumours when two same sex MPs share a room when on business - which is very common practice and despite claims to the contrary is encouraged wherever public money is involved.

As for the assistant being paid with public money (for a job he is well qualified and certainly not overpaid for) - exactly how much worse would the rumours be if WH was paying him from his own pocket for a public service job?

no he isn't 'well qualified' he was a personal advisor the the foreign secretary, the 3rd (I think -poss 4th) highest ranking sec of state - a job for a double first oxbridge type with 10+ years experience in diplomacy - myers has a 2nd class degree in law from a provincial redbrick and NO experience at all, until the Tories victory he was employed as a 'driver' (as he was when the totally innocent 'sleepover' took place) as soon as Hague was able, he made the unprecedented step of promoting him to personal advisor at OUR expense whilst shoving decent working people out of work,

I am thinking of applying for Myers vacant job as I am equally (un)qualified.

he was a personal advisor the the foreign secretary, the 3rd (I think -poss 4th) highest ranking sec of state - a job for a double first oxbridge type with 10+ years experience in diplomacy -

no its not. anyone with that sort of qualification/experience would have a proper job.

we don't know what subjects he was advising on but having a reasonably intelligent advisor outside of the foreign office civil service structure would probably be a good thing.

no he isn't 'well qualified' he was a personal advisor the the foreign secretary, the 3rd (I think -poss 4th) highest ranking sec of state - a job for a double first oxbridge type with 10+ years experience in diplomacy - myers has a 2nd class degree in law from a provincial redbrick and NO experience at all, until the Tories victory he was employed as a 'driver' (as he was when the totally innocent 'sleepover' took place) as soon as Hague was able, he made the unprecedented step of promoting him to personal advisor at OUR expense whilst shoving decent working people out of work,

I am thinking of applying for Myers vacant job as I am equally (un)qualified.

A 'SPAD' is little more than a glorified assistant - essentially an 'apprentice MP'. He was only paid £30,000 and was on the lowest grade for his position.

He also had two degrees, one from Durham which certainly isn't a 'provincial redbrick'. One was history, one was law.

no its not. anyone with that sort of qualification/experience would have a proper job.

we don't know what subjects he was advising on but having a reasonably intelligent advisor outside of the foreign office civil service structure would probably be a good thing.

what subjects he was advising ? we can have guess!! Fnnerr ffnner

advisors to secretaries of state are not 'reasonably intelligent' they're provenly brilliant types -eg 'so what would you advise re our approach to Iran over the nuclear issue Myers' -' no idea minister, I'm only reasonably intelligent, but I do know a good 2 for 1 deal at the travel lodge in Swindon'

what subjects he was advising ? we can have guess!! Fnnerr ffnner

advisors to secretaries of state are not 'reasonably intelligent' they're provenly brilliant types -eg 'so what would you advise re our approach to Iran over the nuclear issue Myers' -' no idea minister, I'm only reasonably intelligent, but I do know a good 2 for 1 deal at the travel lodge in Swindon'

Indeed the story seems to have similarities to when the Lib Dem MP Simon Hughes had himself, goaded the gay Labour candidate, Peter Tatchell about his sexuality in the notorious Bermondsey byelection back in the early '80's before being outed himself a few years ago.

Mod note

A number of posts have been removed as they were neither family friendly or true. Please remember our family friendly policy and don't post unsuitable comments on the forum.

Thanks

Edited to add, as always any questions should be submitted via the "Help or Contact Us" link.

Dont forget William Hague never had a childhood.

Those of us remember him at that conference with Thatcher and all those other evil ones will never forget it.

He sounded like the replica of Harold Wilson.

It was horrendous to see how a young man was so indoctrinated.

And Thatchers leer over his shoulder was sick making.

Is it any wonder he is living out his childhood now, when he has the time and brass to do it.

Further, what difference does his sexuality make?

He was not consorting with enemy spys, or anything at all.

He is one of the wittiest, droll MPs we have.

I like him, from what the TV shows me, for all his stupid errors, and hope he resists the problems that beset him.

Having said that, it was a stupid error of judgement, that excludes him from the post of Foreign Secretary.

Imagine how this will be reported worldwide.

Archived