Does anyone have any History about the Norton Pub, Meadowhead?

Used to be the berni inn.

I first used it in 1974 when I was fifteen because the lady behind the bar [Mary I think her name was] used to serve us, there was always an old man in there every day.

The school teachers from Rowlinson used to drag us out in our dinner times.

There was also a duck restaurant next to it.

Used to be the berni inn.

I first used it in 1974 when I was fifteen because the lady behind the bar [Mary I think her name was] used to serve us, there was always an old man in there every day.

The school teachers from Rowlinson used to drag us out in our dinner times.

There was also a duck restaurant next to it.

What happened to it? I ate there a lot in the sixties.

Back in the 50s it was an ordinary pub and the petrol station was Brocklhurst garage.There was a 9pin bowling alley in what I think became the Steak and Duck bar had a door in Norton Lane. There was a manager there (think his name was David) who went from there to manage the bars at the Fiesta Club. If you were to ask John Mitchell he might know something he lived nearby then. His father ran the butchers shop.

Edited by Albatross

Back in the 50s it was an ordinary pub and the petrol station was Brocklhurst garage.There was a 9pin bowling alley in what I think became the Steak and Duck bar had a door in Norton Lane. There was a manager there (think his name was David) who went from there to manage the bars at the Fiesta Club. If you were to ask John Mitchell he might know something he lived nearby then. His father ran the butchers shop.

I recently found out there used to be a bowling alley in what is now the Function Room!! They should bring it back!!!

I first went in when I was at Norton College in '91. It used to have decent pint of Castle Eden. The 'food' side was shut off from the rest of the pub then as well. It was nothing special, but is now just one of those grim pubco efforts. Characterless and soulless.

Does anyone have any History, information, memories or ghost stories about The Norton Pub on Meadowhead?

yes learnt to ride my first two wheeler bike in the carpark 67 years ago.I lived on Hustone avenue...Four lane ends wasthe junction..Drank there in later years..Never been again since the late 70's Used to be a plastics factory accross the road..Later Norton Garage then Brocklehurst motors..Next door was Clements groceries,an old family business..Any body before me??? Memories!!!

Thankyou everyone!! Please keep the posts and info coming as its fascinating and I enjoy a drink and a meal up there every now and then. Its one of the more cheaper places to eat and drink compared to some pubs around it. Does anyone know of its ghost history I have been told some history from the people who work there, I will be interested if anyone comes back with some info.? What can I say, I am sad like that and love history and a good old beer and a ghost story hehehehehe.