Does anyone have any History about the Norton Pub, Meadowhead?

yes learnt to ride my first two wheeler bike in the carpark 67 years ago.I lived on Hustone avenue...Four lane ends wasthe junction..Drank there in later years..Never been again since the late 70's Used to be a plastics factory accross the road..Later Norton Garage then Brocklehurst motors..Next door was Clements groceries,an old family business..Any body before me??? Memories!!!

Oh wow pjkay!! I will think of you learning to ride your bike in the car park when I next go up!!! Although I dont know if my little lad will be safe to learn to ride a bike in the carpark in this day and age hahaha! Far too many cars etc etc and he is a little dare devil!!!!

I remember as a child, alighting from the tram with my parents and walking along Meadowhead to the Norton. We thought it was on the edge of Sheffield, because then there was nothing beyond, except the row of houses on the right called Low Edges until you reached Dronfield. No Batemoor / Jordanthorpe, no Low Edges.

The elderley chap used to stand in the Turpin bar and was a friend of Mary the barmaid. His name was Henry and he was a nice old guy and also lived on Hunstone Avenue.

The bowling alley had 2 lanes and had a coffee bar too. Before that it used to be Norton Dance Hall.

David was a manager there in the 60's and also Mr Dalpuch. The Landlord was David Rusby with his wife Margaret and son Mark.

The Pub used to have a full size snooker table in the left main room and was removed in about 1966 when it was turned into a Berni steak bar by Whitbread. It was originally a Tenants pub. My sister was a waitress there along with another girl Carol Hawksworth.

In the 1940's there were very good dances held at The Norton (according to my mum).

Johnny Johnson & his musical madcaps were the resident band in the late 40's & early 50's.

I worked there in 1972/4 when it was a Bernie Inn - was supposed to be haunted by people/girl who died on site during war, one old lass who was 70 said she saw her 18yr old friend who was buried in rubble there in 1941 walking by window quite often

That is interesting! Where was the rubble from during the war Chef761953? Was the Pub hit?

this was 35yrs ago but Linda said that the outbuildings were hit and the building next door - its still a nice pub now ; if weathers nice I am going to nip up today for lunch and sit outside , may be last chance before weather turns

Oh wow, I didnt know that, I tried to look online, but couldnt find any information out, its like looking for a needle in a haystack finding anything out about Sheffield sometimes, so thankyou!!! Yes it is still a lovely pub. Did you go up for some lunch today? The weather was quite nice this afternoon.

• 3 months later...
Back in the 50s it was an ordinary pub and the petrol station was Brocklhurst garage.There was a 9pin bowling alley in what I think became the Steak and Duck bar had a door in Norton Lane. There was a manager there (think his name was David) who went from there to manage the bars at the Fiesta Club. If you were to ask John Mitchell he might know something he lived nearby then. His father ran the butchers shop.

That was my Dad's cousin David Rusby.