Does anyone have any History about the Norton Pub, Meadowhead?

We used to go there regularly when we were first married in the early 70s. Everyone just called it The Berni then. It had separate steak and duck restaurants. It was quite a classy place to eat back then. I remember Brocklehursts garage opposite and the whole area around the crossroads (there wasnt a roundabout then, just traffic lights) was called Four Lane Ends

I remember my late Father and I used to got into the Turpin's bar. He used to have a chat with Mary. His name was Harry Athorn.We had moved from Maugerhey on to the old Grennel Estate.

You're David Athorns Sister that used to live in the converted stable block at Norton Hall?

Edited by Fantasia X

It was the site of an old posting inn,before the Plague went to Derbishire,the coach would stop there to pick up goods and deliver them, also passengers.A coach carrying cotton goods came up from London when the plague was rampant there but because of delays on the route, instead of stopping at Norton, went straight on to Eyam,and practically wiped out the whole village

Hello Kath, my Mum worked at Jessops annexe. I was at Norton Free with David, Harry was my Dads mate, your dad was a skilled dry-stone waller. Remember your Mum too from Maugerhay. As a child we used to visit and play down there. Also recall them moving down to Bocking Lane area. A good family and it was all a long time ago in both our family histories!

Hello Fantasia X

Hello love nice to hear from you. Respectfully. What is your real name? Did you go to Gleadless Valley School with him? We moved to Greenhill Avenue.Christopher eventually bought the house and redeveloped it. Thank you for all the compliments.

Hope to hear from you soon.Lets catch up after all these years.

Kath.

• 1 year later...