Lion' Lair: new menus

ccellis

I will agree that Wig & Pen is similar. How many of these are chain pubs and how many are independent ideas that have been worked at to make them that little bit different. So of the independent bars/pubs, whatever, which sell real ale and have a beer garden?

I don't think Lion's Lair is totally unique but I do think that it gives the customer options in the city centre that other places can't do individually.

I really didn't want to start a war on here by posting an offer for visitors/members to the Sheffield Forum. At least it's given some people a chance to air their views. Maybe if enough people want it, the Yorkshire Arms can be brought back.

In response to people walking in and being offered a table or a menu; good news, the staff are doing their jobs properly. If you don't want it, just say no thank you.

Originally posted by nick2

If you mean a poshish pub that sells food there is :

All Bar One

Wig & Pen

Lloyds #1

Sola

Bar Ha Ha (though I would rather starve than eat there)

haha. Have a word. The food at the lion's lair is excellent and can hardly be compared with all bar one,bar haha (exactly) or ******* Lloyds!

Originally posted by behappy

point is - sheffield doesnt need another trendy lounge bar/pub - yorkey arms was packed to the rafters when the 'rockers' frequented it, whether it had good food or not, as long as the pies were warm we were happy!!!

So if it was great, why did it close down onw wonders ?

I will be taking advantage of the forum voucher sometime for sure.

Originally posted by venger

So if it was great, why did it close down onw wonders ?

That's easy. I'll tell you. The pub used to be run by some gay guys who didn't want the rockers in. During the week it was dead and often closed at teatime.

Sass and I spoke to the brewery about it and they agreed to let us get the place rocking again. They showed us plans for turning it into a wine bar which we looked at but said we weren't interested in as we preferred the rock venue. The brewery were insistant on converting it as it was dying on its feet.

We took it on and virtually doubled the takings in the first month. As soon as word spread that we'd taken it over the rockers returned at weekends. We put on open mic nights and other events during the week and it became really busy again.

The brewery had invested quite a lot into the plans and decided to press ahead with the refurb and for it to be the wine bar so we left and opened up the Classic Rock Bar the following month taking the rockers with us.

Originally posted by nick2

Personally, I wouldn't eat anywhere that charges £8 for bangers and mash, thats just taking the p*ss.

The trouble there is that the lease on the building, coupled with the business rates and extortionate prices that breweries charge for ale pushes prices up. The only way to claw back costs is to charge a lot of money for burgers and chips. I do feel for city centre pubs. I remember how much the Council tax was each month on the Yorkshireman's! Ridiculous considering the size of the place :rant:

Originally posted by sloth

haha. Have a word. The food at the lion's lair is excellent and can hardly be compared with all bar one,bar haha (exactly) or f*cking Lloyds!

chips are chips, the only difference at the Lions is the pretentious prices.

Archived