Peugeot bipper teepee

• 5 months later...

I hope to have a new Peugeot Bipper Tepee Outdoor 1.4 HDi in about a week I hope, I ordered one and got the log book this week but they got it wrong it has a Fiat 1.3 HDi Stop Start engine with a DPF filter, it's a nightmare, they are going to have to try to get deregistered but another with 1.4 Hdi engine has been found in Inverness by Peugeot and is being transported down for me. I have a 206SW with 1.4 HDi and given no problems so getting this one to see my days out, I have found one and find the seating great for my arthritis and if I remove the bigger of the 2 back seats my class3 mobility scooter should fit in, I am buying it myself not through any motability scheme, I could not find one to test drive but I have had same engine for 5 years and happy, they look a bit odd but should do the job I want, I got good deal saving over £3K on list price, keeping my fingers crossed they don't let me down again.

• 8 months later...

Mine arrived mid February, the height I believe made it hard going on motorway when collecting it but plenty of power in 1.4 HDi normal running around, driving lightly I managed max 46mpg but had CHECK ENGINE warning 4 times in first 500 miles, dealers can't give clear answers, due to illness it's only done 860 miles but since 500 miles no warning light as I have driven it harder once engine warmed up but only getting 40mpg.

I believe there is a sensor before and after catalizer which triggers warning if catalizer gets a bit of soot build up but still better than the problems with newer DPF engines.

I like driving position and find it fun to drive and easy to park, I won't complain if it stays at 40mpg local driving, it has some things I am not keen on but no car is perfect for everyone.

Mine arrived mid February, the height I believe made it hard going on motorway when collecting it but plenty of power in 1.4 HDi normal running around, driving lightly I managed max 46mpg but had CHECK ENGINE warning 4 times in first 500 miles, dealers can't give clear answers, due to illness it's only done 860 miles but since 500 miles no warning light as I have driven it harder once engine warmed up but only getting 40mpg

I reckon the problem is the Diesel Particulate Filter or EGR valve.

Small engined diesels are not designed for local driving and they gum up with diesel deposits.

I had a 1.3 diesel a few years ago. It was immaculate and done only 30,000 miles with the previous owner from new. She never took it on the motorway or dual carriageways (Wigan didn't have any) and did local low speed driving. When I took it on it looked like the engine had done 150,000 miles. EGR valve was gummed up and the MAF sensor and breather pipes filthy and blocked.

Did you see last week's Watchdog? I urge you to do so, about 28 minutes in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/diesel_particulate_filters.html

And I recommend you register for free at Peugeot's Servicebox website: http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

Register, sign in and put in your chassis number for a full spec report of your car.

I'm a freelance Peugeot diagnostics engineer. PM me if you want me to do a diagnostic on your car, I'm in Sheffield tomorrow.

I saw Watchdog which should prevent a few people from making the mistake. I am in Scunthorpe area, I bought model without a DPF but was hard to find, ended up comming from Inverness. I bought the Lexia 3 diagnostics kit but could not get software to initialise so it got put back in box as to ill to play with it. Just hoping I get better to be able to drive it again.

Archived