Only "dimwits" emigrate from Britain ..

I have 2 friends over there that claim 100mbps is the norm for households in their city.

You'd need a business line to get anywhere near that in Sheffield or anywhere in the Uk that I'm aware of (I'm not going to waste time putting too much research into it).

It's still shocking that we rank 35th on the global scale according to http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/ .

Even Europes poorest country has better speeds than us.

Ever thought that they might be exaggerating?

Or maybe these random websites that claim otherwise are all part of a big lie just trying to trick you.

2 weeks paid (I think) plus bank holidays, and more if you want them unpaid, which considering I'll be earning over twice what I get here will be fine by me, I don't take all my holidays now.

2 weeks is about right. But find out how many people there ever take unpaid leave.

Maybe if you're so work driven that you don't take your holiday now then you'll be fine. Personally I work to live, I don't live to work. I like 25 or 30 days holiday, which is easy to do since I'm self employed.

I know how much the IT industry pays as well, and whilst I could increase my pay, it wouldn't be significant compared to working in London, and certainly wouldn't be worth sacrificing my life over.

But find out how many people there ever take unpaid leave.

Why, I don't care what everyone else does.

Maybe if you're so work driven that you don't take your holiday now then you'll be fine. Personally I work to live, I don't live to work.

I'm not work driven, though I do enjoy my job, I don't take my holidays because I can't afford to go anywhere abroad. 2 weeks off stuck in the UK isn't a holiday IMO, it's more a form of torture, I'd rather be at work doing something stimulating.

I've heard lots of reasons why people don't move to London, but mainly people are scared they won't be able to hack it, it is a hard place to live, Sheffield is very easy.

Okay, you're not work driven, but the rest of your life is devoid of all forms of pleasure, so you'd rather be at work than take paid leave. That doesn't alter my assessment that maybe you'll fit in then.

I can see how it's possible that your pay might double as well since you must be fairly badly paid in the UK by the sounds of it.

London sucks. It's big, dirty and smelly, but at least you still get 25 days holiday + bh.

I'm sure that parts of the US are really nice, but you won't have time to see them since you'll be working.

Definately the former!

At least you can see the mote in another's eye, if not the beam in your own! :D

I loved the England of my childhood and youth, and liked the England of my middle age, now I almost despise the England of my older years. Like most, I'd choose to live somewhere where the people admire and respect their own country and where the goverment and bureaucracy can be trusted to work in our interests.

But is there anywhere like that around these days, anyway? The scales have fallen from all our eyes and we can see our leaders for what they are. But were past leaders any different, or did we just look at them with rose tinted spectacles?

Have we really always had this underbelly of worthless people, which seems to grow larger with every passing year? But it seems not to be the same in other countries? Do we know that for a fact, or does it just seem so, because we don't actually live there?

At least you can see the mote in another's eye, if not the beam in your own! :D

I loved the England of my childhood and youth, and liked the England of my middle age, now I almost despise the England of my older years. Like most, I'd choose to live somewhere where the people admire and respect their own country and where the goverment and bureaucracy can be trust to do work in our interests.

But is there anywhere like that around these days, anyway? The scales have fallen from all our eyes and we are can see our leaders for what they are. But were past leaders any different, or did we just look at them with rose tinted spectacles?

Have we really always had this underbelly of worthless people, which seems to grow larger with every passing year? But that seems not to be the same in other countries? Do we know that for a fact, or does it just seem so, because we don't actually live there?

You've been reading too much of that Daily Mail dear!

Haven't got time for a more thoughtful response but somethings have changed for the better some for worse over the years IMO, it's not all gloom and doom.;)

Ever thought that they might be exaggerating?

Or maybe these random websites that claim otherwise are all part of a big lie just trying to trick you.

Yes I have thought they might be exaggerating.

I wouldn't call netindex a website that peddles lies though, considering it's closely tied to one of the most used speed testing sites on the net.

http://www.speedtest.net/

You've been reading too much of that Daily Mail dear! Haven't got time for a more thoughtful response but somethings have changed for the better some for worse over the years IMO, it's not all gloom and doom.;)
Oh yes all that, of course :rolleyes:! lol, like I'd ever read a 'newspaper'!

Ok, you can spell 'renowned' but have you learned to spell 'definitely' now? If so, my work here is done.

And yes, I have now noticed the umpteen typos I made myself ... :hihi:

Archived