Only "dimwits" emigrate from Britain ..

Okay, you're not work driven, but the rest of your life is devoid of all forms of pleasure, so you'd rather be at work than take paid leave. That doesn't alter my assessment that maybe you'll fit in then.

LOL - You know nothing about me.

You, however, are well known for this kind for passive-aggressive "you're not like me so you're wrong" posting, I was waiting for it :)

Clarkson doesnt live inthe UK, what is he wittering about?

Mind you with him coming from Barnsley, I suppose wittering is his languge.

As informed as usual i see....

Quote:-Clarkson was born in Doncaster, then in the West Riding of Yorkshire, to teacher Shirley Gabrielle Ward and travelling salesman Edward Grenville "Eddie" Clarkson

LOL - You know nothing about me.

You, however, are well known for this kind for passive-aggressive "you're not like me so you're wrong" posting, I was waiting for it :)

You were the one who said that you don't take your current holiday as sitting at home for 2 weeks was not fun. I just extrapolated from that.

Based on what I've seen though, and the couple of people I know who've emigrated, most people would miss the 3 weeks of holiday that they'll loose.

Go for it anyway, emigrate, see if the grass is really greener. Maybe you're unusual and holiday doesn't matter to you.

I don't think you're wrong, I just think that for most people the difference in annual leave would be very important and is something that is often over looked.

Yes I have thought they might be exaggerating.

I wouldn't call netindex a website that peddles lies though, considering it's closely tied to one of the most used speed testing sites on the net.

http://www.speedtest.net/

So you're friends were definitely exaggerating then, as Slovenia is lower than the UK by that measure and a long long way below 100mbps.

Interestingly, if you read into it, some of the smaller countries near the top of that list have a few cities with brand new fibre optic networks, but actual broadband availability across the country is extremely poor.

The UK has nearly 100% coverage, which includes slower connections to rural locations.

You were the one who said that you don't take your current holiday as sitting at home for 2 weeks was not fun. I just extrapolated from that.

How can you extrapolate from "sitting at home in Sheffield for 2 weeks is not fun" to "the rest of your life is devoid of all forms of pleasure" ?

How can you extrapolate from "sitting at home in Sheffield for 2 weeks is not fun" to "the rest of your life is devoid of all forms of pleasure" ?

It seems pretty easy to me to make such an extrapolation.

If you'd rather work for a fortnight and loose annual leave because you can think of nothing else better to do, then the assumption I made is that you don't have a lot to do in the first place. It seems quite reasonable. If you had lots of hobbies then filling that two weeks would be extremely easy, and since you'd be paid for it anyway only an idiot wouldn't take it.

Hell, I'd take it (in shorter spans) to have time off to sit on the garden and read a book, if I didn't have lots of other things to do with my holiday anyway.

Is there perhaps a generation gap between you guys? (Cyclone and Bulgarian)

Only a young person would think of working in order to further their career/bank balance rather than take time off. Only an older person would take time off to sit in the garden and read a book. :hihi:

As an oldie myself, time off is precious. There'll never be enough time to do everything I want. Work is most definitely a means to an end. Living to work? What kind of life is that? For that reason alone I think I'm better off in the UK than most other places in the world.

On the other hand ... I did once hear a Microsoft employee's definition of work life balance: His idea was that you work stupid hours when young, get rich and retire young. Ah .. if only that were still an option for me.

Based on what I've seen though, and the couple of people I know who've emigrated, most people would miss the 3 weeks of holiday that they'll loose.

Go for it anyway, emigrate, see if the grass is really greener. Maybe you're unusual and holiday doesn't matter to you.

Sort of depends on the job. I don't get my three weeks holiday, more like 2 months.

10 days now, the same at Christmas/new year and several other holidays including the lord Buddha's birthday along with a month in the summer.

Just to be clear, I only work in the mornings so every afternoon is free.

That's 5 days per week for a salary that many posters on here won't earn in the UK but with a tiny cost of living.

And, here it comes, no freezing your nuts off in winter. :cool:

Archived