Only "dimwits" emigrate from Britain ..

Well it was perhaps a bit of a sweeping comment (and I had been on the pop) but it was based on a couple of people I know, one was from Sheffield who came from a bit of a messed up family whom he needed to literally put some clear water between, hence he emigrated to Australia.

What irks me is people who leave this country then via sites such as this feel the need to let everybody know how wondeful it is where they are and try to rub our noses in it. If they like it so much where they are why do they feel the need to join forums such as this. There must be forums that they can join in the places thay have gone to, but then that would spoil the fun!

when you leave your place of birth and upbringing and move to the other side of the world do you think you just have all you memories erased on landing.theres a strong emotional conection to the country you were raised in which you can't erase .I don't see them rubbing peoples noses init .just saying why they left more like it

Why do I think 'I can speak on behalf of everyone else' - your reasons for going are because you value materialism over things like living in a communty amongst friends.

In my experience people who are loners go overseas to pursue their careers because they can't make it here, and try to start again somewhere else.

You see there you go again making assumptions and generalisation that fit in with your perceived stereotype. You are about 100% wrong.

I am not a UK citizen and never have been. My parents were Zimbabwean refugees and I was born in South Africa about a month after they fled. We left South Africa whilst I was at first school and I became a citizen of the British Overseas Territories when we moved to Hong Kong. I lived for a time in the Isle of Man before going to the UK because it is a great place to get a subsidised university degree. After graduating I wasn't offered UK citizenship, probably because I hadn't arrived illegally in the back of a truck. So before my passport expired I moved to Canada, and the Canadians benefit from the education that you subsidised. :D

By the way we had about 200 people at the New Year's party. Quite good for loners who have only lived in a country for a few of years.

You see there you go again making assumptions and generalisation that fit in with your perceived stereotype. You are about 100% wrong.

I am not a UK citizen and never have been. My parents were Zimbabwean refugees and I was born in South Africa about a month after they fled. We left South Africa whilst I was at first school and I became a citizen of the British Overseas Territories when we moved to Hong Kong. I lived for a time in the Isle of Man before going to the UK because it is a great place to get a subsidised university degree. After graduating I wasn't offered UK citizenship, probably because I hadn't arrived illegally in the back of a truck. So before my passport expired I moved to Canada, and the Canadians benefit from the education that you subsidised. :D

Ah, so you didn't have enough points then:hihi::hihi:

Clarkson is, in local parlence, a daft pillock

I buggered off to the tropics, have two houses, a ruddy fantastic lifestyle and no winter to get cold in.

My salary is around five times that of a police inspector for doing sod all except talking.

Homesick?

Well I miss the fish and chips and Indian food but bugger all else.

No drunks roving the streets smashing things up, a minor drug problem compared to the UK and, best of all, no cretinous Clarkson spouting crap on TV.

So you don't get DAVE over there then? :shocked:

Canada is okay if you dont mind being buried in snow for about six months of the year and lucky enough to be able to find a job:D

Considering they are actively encouraging immigration in Canada as they have too few people to fill all the jobs available it shouldn't be hard to find one, I've been offered 2 and I haven't even got there yet.

What holidays do the two you've been offered come with?

2 weeks paid (I think) plus bank holidays, and more if you want them unpaid, which considering I'll be earning over twice what I get here will be fine by me, I don't take all my holidays now.

Ah, so you didn't have enough points then:hihi::hihi:

Points never came into it. I had assumed that as BOTC passports were being phased out that it would automatically be exchanged for a UK passport. Instead I was required to submit a full application as if I were an alien rather than someone from a British Territory.Instead I chose to join my parents in Canada where I was guaranteed Canadian citizenship. I am now dual Canadian/South African.

I got what I wanted from the UK which was a 1st in law from a world renound university, and if you want a good laugh, you paid for it. I have a house in Canada, a flat in Hong Kong and another in Sheffield, and can come and go pretty much as I please. I just don’t pay taxes in the UK

Considering they are actively encouraging immigration in Canada as they have too few people to fill all the jobs available it shouldn't be hard to find one, I've been offered 2 and I haven't even got there yet.

It depends on what type of work you do that plays a part in obtaining and staying in a job in Canada on a secure basis

Outdoor construction work which is my trade was seasonal because of the long hard winters.

That was never a problem in the Southwest USA where I now live and I finished my working years owning my own construction buisness from which I made a very good living and subsequently an equally good retirement

We skilled craftsmen are a snobbish lot in our own way and having to earn a living buffing floors in big corporate office buildings after being laid off at the beginning of the winter season was not the type of work I signed up for when emigrating to Canada hoping for a better life

Outdoor construction work which is my trade was seasonal because of the long hard winters.

You must have expected that though, surely it's the same in any country where they have a winter, it's not Canada's fault as such.

Archived