Declaring attendance on a speed awareness course?

That is silly talk.

The 30 mph limit was an arbitary figure plucked out of the air, as cars in the past were not safe above that speed.

Cable operated drum brakes all round, cross ply tyres, and no PAS or servo in any fashion.

With a modern car it is how you drive, not at what speed.

And regarding the telling your insurance company, you will just muddy the water.

You have not been prosecuted or fined in anyway.

You have paid for a one day educational course, and it is well worth the money.

If you were done at well over the speed limit, the course would not be offered

Alas, developments in the human body have not progressed at the same rate, so speeds above 30mph become far more likely to be fatal to anyone hit by the car.

That's why the limit's 30!

The risk of you crashing and burning to death is increased.

Higher speeds lead to more accidents and higher speeds increase the severity of injuries suffered.

Higher speeds make crashes more likely.

Speeding is dangerous and illegal, and there doesn't even have to be an accident for it to be aggressive and anti-social.

Most of which I don't disagree with, but speeding (as defined by driving above the speed limit) is not necessarily significantly more dangerous than driving within the speed limit when the differences are marginal

Consider this example.

Two cars of equal weight and braking ability are travelling along the same road. Car 1, travelling at 65 kilometres/hour, is overtaking Car 2, which is travelling at 60 kilometres/hour.

A child on a bicycle – let's call him Sam – emerges from a driveway just as the two cars are side-by-side. The drivers both see the child at the same time and both take 1.5 seconds before they fully apply the brakes. In those few moments, Car 1 travels 27.1 metres and Car 2 travels 25.0 metres.

The difference of 2.1 metres might seem relatively small, but combined with other factors it could mean the difference between life and death for Sam.

Consider this example.

Two cars of equal weight and braking ability are travelling along the same road. Car 1, travelling at 65 kilometres/hour, is overtaking Car 2, which is travelling at 60 kilometres/hour.

A child on a bicycle – let's call him Sam – emerges from a driveway just as the two cars are side-by-side. The drivers both see the child at the same time and both take 1.5 seconds before they fully apply the brakes. In those few moments, Car 1 travels 27.1 metres and Car 2 travels 25.0 metres.

The difference of 2.1 metres might seem relatively small, but combined with other factors it could mean the difference between life and death for Sam.

Funny how they're all called Sam.

Consider this example.

Noted and agreed

My comment was in the context of my first post - I'm on an empty (other than my car) motorway driving at 78 mph - I am not driving significantly more dangerously than I would be if I was driving at 70mph

The only point of my post was to point out that your sweeping generalisation in post #23 was wrong

Alas, developments in the human body have not progressed at the same rate, so speeds above 30mph become far more likely to be fatal to anyone hit by the car.

That's why the limit's 30!

If the speed limit in urban areas was changed to 40mph tomorow you would argue the toss in future debates....

Alas, developments in the human body have not progressed at the same rate, so speeds above 40mph become far more likely to be fatal to anyone hit by the car.

Noted and agreed

My comment was in the context of my first post - I'm on an empty (other than my car) motorway driving at 78 mph - I am not driving significantly more dangerously than I would be if I was driving at 70mph

The only point of my post was to point out that your sweeping generalisation in post #23 was wrong

Dont try to reason with that tool, he's a one way street honestly.

Archived