Ryanair - Hand Baggage Dimensions?

Has anyone travelled Raynair recently? I want to know how strict they are on the dimensions of hand baggage. The website says hand baggage should be a max of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I'm looking at buying a bag that's 53cm x 31.5cm x 27cm. I don't have an issue with keeping to the weight restrictions but am I gonna get in trouble for those extra 7cm??? :huh:

I have just been to Ireland and back on Ryanair.

They do not check hand luggage. They have the stands to measure the bags, but nobody tells you to check it, or makes you do it. This is the 3rd time I have flown there and back in the last 6 months, and it hasn't been checked.

If the bag is soft as you say, then it can be fitted into the holder if someone does decide to check it.

These companies make me laugh with their policies on hand luggage. It isn't weighed, and people are now taking small suitcases on as hand luggage to save on fees...Who knows how much they weigh? Then you have to think about any purchases people make at the airport once they are through security!!

I have just been to Ireland and back on Ryanair.

They do not check hand luggage. They have the stands to measure the bags, but nobody tells you to check it, or makes you do it. This is the 3rd time I have flown there and back in the last 6 months, and it hasn't been checked.

If the bag is soft as you say, then it can be fitted into the holder if someone does decide to check it.

These companies make me laugh with their policies on hand luggage. It isn't weighed, and people are now taking small suitcases on as hand luggage to save on fees...Who knows how much they weigh? Then you have to think about any purchases people make at the airport once they are through security!!

I've flown Ryanair quite a lot and I think I can only remember one occasion when someone had to prove their hand luggage wasn't overweight or oversized.

I flew back from Tenerife last week and they were checking hand baggage sizes. They checked mine and I just managed to fit it in to the holder. Ive flown with them about 10 times and that was the first time Ive had mine checked. They also are quite strict about only taking one bag on board I.e. if you have a handbag you have to put it in your hand luggage.

Archived