Vaginal thrush, painful

Hi Dominoes

If Canesten and Diflucan don't work then I think you need to go to your local GUM/sexual health clinic, as they will be able to take swabs to determine which antifungal agent will work, whether it's standard thrush or something else and also will be able to provide medication to treat it twice a month every month until it's properly settled down, which could take some time.

If you're in Sheffield then the clinic is at the Royal Hallamshire and it's on the townward end of the OutPatients building. You can self-refer in to a GUM, they're discreet, friendly and non-judgemental, and it's nothing like as scary as you think it will be.

I was advised by my GP to go to the GUM after serious wound infections meant that multiple courses of antibiotics played havoc with my natural flora. It took some time to get it sorted out, but once I was on regular treatment life was a lot less sore and itchy :)

I find myself in the same situation when I have antibiotics and certain cheeses for some reason. Medusa is wise in her comments about getting very often and untreatable thrush checked out at the GUM clinic. This problem is actually more common than people like to admit for obvious reasons. :roll:

• 6 years later...

Hi I’ve tried having sex since having a bad version of thrush I thought it had cleared as been a few days with no itching or thrush now but still when try having sex it’s painful how long does it take to clear internally should sex still be hurting when it’s been a few days clear of it we tried when I had thrush couldn’t do it now still can’t is this normal?