Roman remains in South Yorkshire

marshman

I don't believe there is any evidence for a Roman fort at Wincobank. More likely to have been a British Iron Age hill fort.

There was certainly a Roman fort a Templeborough and it is quite possible that undiscovered mansios exist on forgotten or less important Roman roads. According to the Antonine Itinerary the main route south from Castleford was via Doncaster and Lincoln. Neither Templeborough or Chesterfield are mentioned in the Itineraries but it seems pretty certain there was a Roman road between although the distance is barely a day's march.

I've heard the track that goes over the moor from Ringinglow (starts near the toll house) to Fox House referred to as a Roman road. Is it?

I believe (could be wrong) that it is late medieval in date and seem to remember there being a plaque to that effect up. I've always known it as 'the pack road'.

Archived