Roman remains in South Yorkshire

marshman

I believe (could be wrong) that it is late medieval in date and seem to remember there being a plaque to that effect up. I've always known it as 'the pack road'.

Heard it was a 'salt' or 'salter's' road. Believed to continue down Ringinglow Rd, onto Ecclesall Rd and on up Psalter (Salter) Lane.

I recall seeing the remains of a Roman bath under a building in lower Hackenthorpe, circa 50 years ago.

Found this - talking about birley spa

"There is a strong tradition and legend that a roman bath existed here and old local people still talk of this. To support this story one may consider that the Roman Ricknield Street is now, after post war excavations, considered by some authorities to come from Chesterfield through Hanley, Ridgeway, High Lane and across Birley Moor to a point west of Woodhouse on its way to Templeborough. This route brings the road alongside Birley Spa"

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/birleyspahistory.htm

As far as I know, the following roman remains or finds were found in and around the Sheffield area:

Templeborough Fort: roman earth & timber fort constructed in first century AD, later rebuilt in stone. Site currently burried under the present day Templeborough Steel Works (MAGNA).

Burngreave Roman Coin Horde: 50 roman coins dated between 50 and 200 AD found in excavations on Scott Street, Burngreave

Blackburn Roman Coin Horde: 30 roman coins dated between 1st & 2nd century AD found in location of present Meadowhall Park & Ride car park in 1891

Roman burial urns have been found during excavations in Bank Street near the cathedral. Some historians speculate that the area around the cathedral may have been the site of a small roman garrison guarding the river crossing in the valley below.

Parts of Redmires Road near the Hallam Golf Club are suspected to be a section of the roman road that ran from Brough Fort near Hope, Derbyshire and the Templeborough Fort in Rotherham. It may have also connected to the roman road that runs parallel to Snake Pass and linked with Melandra Castle Fort in Glossop.

Rivelin Valley Roman Tablets: these were found in 1761 to the south of Stannington

Non Roman Stuff:

Wincobank Hill fort has been found to have a construction date of 500BC putting it firmly in the early to mid to Iron Age.

The earth work known as 'Roman Ridge', which runs from Grimesthorpe, Sheffield to Mexborough has never been conclusively dated. It's possible that it was built by the local Brigantes tribe to demarcate their territory in the early stages of the Roman occupation. It's also been put forward that it was constructed by two Anglo Saxon factions well after the Romans had left Britain.

Caesars Camp in Scholes Coppice is probably an Iron Age farmstead along with the earthworks upon Canklow Hill, Rotherham.

The nearest substantial site is Templeborough ie where Magna is. Students at King Edwards have been doing an archealogical dig in their grounds for a number of years and I am told there have been a number of roman finds but mainly the kind of junk you get thrown by someone as they walk along the road. I was told there was also evidence of iron working. My guess is that there probably is more roman finds to be made but the explosion of housing as Sheffield rapidly expanded probably covered up a lot. Old iron workings have most probably been lost to more recent mining.

Found this - talking about birley spa

"There is a strong tradition and legend that a roman bath existed here and old local people still talk of this. To support this story one may consider that the Roman Ricknield Street is now, after post war excavations, considered by some authorities to come from Chesterfield through Hanley, Ridgeway, High Lane and across Birley Moor to a point west of Woodhouse on its way to Templeborough. This route brings the road alongside Birley Spa"

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/birleyspahistory.htm

It was a long time ago but as I recall, it was situated under a building that was in use, what as I can't recall, it was in effect a cellar. It had been fully excavated and was very impressive with the amount of Roman mosaic work still remaining.

I'm not being funny, but it can't have vanished into thin air, it was definately Roman and not Victorian. :help:

It was a long time ago but as I recall, it was situated under a building that was in use, what as I can't recall, it was in effect a cellar. It had been fully excavated and was very impressive with the amount of Roman mosaic work still remaining.

I'm not being funny, but it can't have vanished into thin air, it was definately Roman and not Victorian. :help:

So we have a building somewhere with impressive mosaics.... ummmm.... anyone else think that this should be looked more into, found and then shouted about.....why would sheffield just lose somehting like this?

Here is a map of Roman Roads in our area. Wincobank was a brigantine fort.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/grahamkirkby/Robin%20Hood/RomanRoadsAddedcropped.jpg

Hope this helps.

PS. I have shown the link to Doncaster as it wasn't on this map.

The Roman remains were at Tinker Lane and Rivelin. :)

According to Professor Hey there was a Roman fort at Robin Hood's Well which is a few miles north of Doncaster on the A1. I am guessing that there may have been other forts?

What I call "our" road between Buxton and Doncaster linked two main Roman Roads (a sort of short cut) one running north/south on the west and a similar one on the east. It went through "Peak Forest" and "Macclesfield Forest" which after the Conquest became "Royal Forests."

Archived