Roman remains in South Yorkshire

marshman

So we have a building somewhere with impressive mosaics.... ummmm.... anyone else think that this should be looked more into, found and then shouted about.....why would sheffield just lose somehting like this?

Wasn't there a Roman Bath in the Spa Lane area? If you notice all the road names are associated with water.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/birleyspahistory.htm

(Just seen it has been mentioned, sorry.)

There are remains of roman roads both at ringinglow and on the way to stanage pole. Your best place to look for info on this is the sheffield archives on shorham street or the local reference library. If you can get into sheffield university library also, there will probably be several bits of info in periodicals which are held there........if you can be bothered to wade through them! Sorry if you know all this already:)

Hi

I've not read all the responses to your thread but I'm sure somebody must have also mentioned Carl Wark and Higgor Tor? These are still technically within the South Yorks Boundary. Can't remember which way round it is but I think Carl Wark has had Roman activity in the past and Higgor Tor was an Iron Age Hill fort. If you haven't been there, you should go, the place is beautiful. The saits are situated on the way to Hathersage not too far away from Ringinglow. You will find them on OS maps. Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

Im going to be going for a look at a potential site in the coming weeks close to sheffield......some nice crop marks.....which look like an iron age field system, theres also 2 enclosures on a different allignment. Hopefully I will find some pottery on the field surface to give a quick idea about dates etc.

Hitch, that author of that book leaves little faith in dating the Roman Ridge, despite many finds in ditches etc, as they could have been remains lying there from any era?

True.....but if there was an excavation on it, the bottom layer will be the earliest date etc. I do find it funny how the NMR says it could be "Iron age or Medieval" lol

Archived