Roman remains in South Yorkshire

marshman

Lol, 'medieval' is stretching it a bit...lot!

Kronk suggested at the very latest the mid-10thC (before 954 when the last independent king of York, Erik Bloodaxe, was slain), but I think this is way too 'late' a dating?

Hi

I've not read all the responses to your thread but I'm sure somebody must have also mentioned Carl Wark and Higgor Tor? These are still technically within the South Yorks Boundary. Can't remember which way round it is but I think Carl Wark has had Roman activity in the past and Higgor Tor was an Iron Age Hill fort. If you haven't been there, you should go, the place is beautiful. The saits are situated on the way to Hathersage not too far away from Ringinglow. You will find them on OS maps. Enjoy!

Carl Wark is an Iron Age hillfort, Higger Tor is a natural outcrop.

I've heard the track that goes over the moor from Ringinglow (starts near the toll house) to Fox House referred to as a Roman road. Is it?

I believe (could be wrong) that it is late medieval in date and seem to remember there being a plaque to that effect up. I've always known it as 'the pack road'.

There are two theories about the road from Brough to Templeborough. The best known is the route over Stanage and along the ridge from Redmires. The existing remains are a mediaeval packhorse route from Sheffield to Hathersage.

The other is a route that passes Carl Wark then goes via Ringinglow. The old road from Ringinglow to Fox House is an old turnpike road, though even the local studies library photo of it used to be labelled 'Roman Road'. The supposed Roman road runs parallel to it for part of the way, a few yards to the East.

There may have been a Roman period farmstead at Fulwood, near to junction of Brooklands and School Green Lane. Roman pottery was found there and a dig found traces of walls. There are existing field boundaries there that are believed to date back to the period.

If you don't know them you might find these interesting.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7297

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7233&hl=Leader

yeah i was going to say winkobank hill and the roman ridge, according to a sheffield park ranger it runs from doncaster through to chesterfield. Sheffield city council have to keep it maintained because its historic.

Are you sure? I thought it went from Templeborough to Brough near Bradwell in the Peak District.

It was a long time ago but as I recall, it was situated under a building that was in use, what as I can't recall, it was in effect a cellar. It had been fully excavated and was very impressive with the amount of Roman mosaic work still remaining.

I'm not being funny, but it can't have vanished into thin air, it was definately Roman and not Victorian. :help:

As we speak I'm sat at the bath house pond at hackenthorpe looking up to the roman baths. Clearly signposted from the burley spa road

As we speak I'm sat at the bath house pond at hackenthorpe looking up to the roman baths. Clearly signposted from the burley spa road

I'm out in Hackenthorpe on Monday, Main Street to be precise. I should be able to remember it, having been a pupil at Thornbridge Grammar (as it was in 1958).

Please give me a clue, from Main Street.

Why I can't post 1958, god only knows.

Roman ridge at Wath/Swinton was some sort of Roman fortification but I know little of it's history except it stretches as far as Winkerbank.

I suppose, if there was a defensive line of that size, there may well have been more than one fort.

I'm out in Hackenthorpe on Monday, Main Street to be precise. I should be able to remember it, having been a pupil at Thornbridge Grammar (as it was in 1958).

Please give me a clue, from Main Street.

Why I can't post 1958, god only knows.

Head away with post office behind you and retail units on your right. At end of road ( T junction) turn left. Past row of shops and keep going up the hill. You will eventually see golden plover pub on left.

Just before golden plover on opposite side is jermyn crescent. Just before the crescent is a bus shelter. The entrance to the drive of bath house is just at side of bus shelter, info boards on railings at side of bus shelter.

The bathhouse is NOT visible from the road. You have to walk down the drive/private road and it becomes visible from half way down. Hope this helps.

Archived