Morrissey making negative race comments

I just wondered what people's thoughts were on Morrissey's latest pronouncements. I've posted the link to an article regarding this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/03/morrissey-china-subspecies-racism

It brings up a number of issues - as one of the correspondents of the article said:

"Plenty of rappers of African descent say much worse about white people and women and are 'celebrated' and part of main stream culture. There seems to be a common feeling that white people deserve to be punished for their speech, while others seem to enjoy some kind of protected status. Is this fair? Why do we feel whites deserve this more than other groups?"

I just wondered what people's thoughts were on Morrissey's latest pronouncements. I've posted the link to an article regarding this.

It brings up a number of issues - as one of the correspondents of the article said:

"Plenty of rappers of African descent say much worse about white people and women and are 'celebrated' and part of main stream culture. There seems to be a common feeling that white people deserve to be punished for their speech, while others seem to enjoy some kind of protected status. Is this fair? Why do we feel whites deserve this more than other groups?"

I've never heard a 'rapper of African descent' call white people a 'subspecies'.

That's pretty bad.

Its all about the unevenness of multiculturalism, I have banged my head on about it this forum on the odd occasion. The way your tv is supposed to reflect society, any advertising or govt campaign (or any form of media) will show you its not right, they have to stick an ethnic person or persons up front or in inflated numbers. Its shows the society they want rather than what is.

"Plenty of rappers of African descent"?

Perhaps the writer should establish whether these rappers speak for the black community or their views are accepted ones before making such pronouncements.

The "common feeling" exists only in the minds of the rappers who make such claims and their 'fans', the black people I know have no time for such views and take negative view of them that people like the correspondent would be surprised by.

The ethnic supremacy views of Nick Griffin are celebrated by 1 million, white British people, but I wouldn't be so dim as to believe that it's representative of white people generally, just a small minority of them.

Racist black rappers make no more relevant observations or social commentary.

Its all about the unevenness of multiculturalism, I have banged my head on about it this forum on the odd occasion. The way your tv is supposed to reflect society, any advertising or govt campaign (or any form of media) will show you its not right, they have to stick an ethnic person or persons up front or in inflated numbers. Its shows the society they want rather than what is.

..or maybe it's just a reflection that ethnic people are consumers, just like white people are? Its a potential market the marketeers don't want to overlook.

I never knew I could eat yoghurt and 'full of fitness food' because the 'Ski Family' were calcium white with hermetically sealed teeth!

Morrisey's career has been littered with such comments. He say's these things to be deliberately provocative then when he is accused of being a racist say's 'who me?'.

I was at the Madness Madstock event at Finsbury Park back in '92 when the muppet was the support act. Although I have enjoyed some of his and The Smiths music over the years, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself when he had to curtail his appearance as he came under a hail of bottles and coins from thousands of unimpressed Madness fans!

Seems he's the "prince Philip" of the music world.I was a smiths fan in late eighties,i remember him being accused of being racist for singing"hang the DJ" as apparently most DJ's were black,so he must have meant them for being black and not DJ's generally for playing sh..rubbish music.

I think on the china issue he's having a go at their "animal rights" more than a a racial thing.if he did indeed consider them a "sub-species" he would be campaining for their rights and trying to prevent people eating "chinese".:D

All of which ignores the fact that we are ALL members of the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens.
Come on, nothing is that simple or can be covered generally in that way.

The world is far more complex than that, its like saying we are all mammals so should all just eat vegetables. Some support Wednesday and some support United, but we are all Sheffielders, that kind of argument doesn't work during a derby.

Archived