I've decided to become a vegetarian

And furthermore, when the egg industry need more laying chickens, each one that is male is normally gassed as soon as its sex is identified. I aspire massively to veganism, but have to work with the best that I can achieve. I think we all find what is morally comfortable for us and for me that is not eating or wearing animals.

For what its worth, for the OP, its useful to familiarise yourself with regard to cheese. When you eat out its good to keep an eye on the cheese in a dish. I've lost count of the number of places that state something is the vegetarian option when it contains parmesan or gorgonzola (by definition, neither of these cheeses can be veggie)

Sainsburys used to do a real good veggie parmesan substitute, it was in a plastic tube. I haven't bought it for a while but this looks a good substitute

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jspLife Free From Parmazano 60g

Sainsburys used to do a real good veggie parmesan substitute, it was in a plastic tube. I haven't bought it for a while but this looks a good substitute

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jspLife Free From Parmazano 60g

We normally buy the Twineham Grange one (now called Bookhams) I just thought it was worthwhile for the OP to know about as not very restaurant does - I seem to recall there was a restaurant owner on here hawking his place a few years ago who was using non veggie cheese in his vegetarian option, and he didn't seem to understand the importance of his error. Certainly I can name several places in Sheffield who offer a (yawn) risotto with parmesan as their veggie option, when it clearly can't be.

I've noticed that the OP hasn't posted for an hour...Caitlin, don't worry! The whole thing is a minefield. As several of us have said, just find the level that suits you.

I've a 'veggie' friend who eats no obvious meat or fish, yet exists perfectly happily without reading ingredient declarations.

My own choice is to read ingredient declarations to their nth degree (I worked in the food industry so I'm familiar with foodstuffs) yet (I've just remembered, after participating in this thread) I ignore my principles re wine. The Co-op do a range of veggie wines, if you want to take it that far, otherwise, wine is often clarified (ie filtered) using fish bladders. Grrrr. Like I said, it's down to you how far you take it!

Whatever works for you. :)

I've noticed that the OP hasn't posted for an hour...Caitlin, don't worry! The whole thing is a minefield. As several of us have said, just find the level that suits you.

:D Ive just been sat here quietly trying to take everything in that people are saying

Thought you might have been! :)

I eat fish rarely but could never eat meat again. I don't have a problem with properly reared and humanely killed stuff, it is more about the much more intensive resources that are needed to produce meat and feed for animals rather than vegetable crops for people. Look here.

When I mention my 'non meat eating' at work, people either jump to defend their meat eating quite aggressively or are apologetic about it. There seems to be no middle ground. My daughter became veggie quite young and it disturbed her mother and freaked her Gran out completely. She thought it was rude not to eat what people had cooked, meat or not. Her loss.

As I get older I find it harder to see the ingredients list on packets of sweets but I really don't want to ingest pork or beef gelatine.

Was it a chain or a local one? (not wanting you to name)

It was one at Woodseats (not a chain). Having been there when stock was delivered to the takeaway, it was clear that the same (probably non-vegetarian) cheese was also being taken to many other takeaways around Sheffield.

It was one at Woodseats (not a chain). Having been there when stock was delivered to the takeaway, it was clear that the same (probably non-vegetarian) cheese was also being taken to many other takeaways around Sheffield.

Uhh, rats! Saying that, I wouldn't particularly trust any independent takeaway. I think I'd probably order a non-potentially controversial item like, erm, chips or jacket with salad if in doubt.

And, as before, it's down to the individual what lengths she/he goes to.

I agree; it's all about your own personal choice and how far you, yourself, wish to take it. Don't be pressurised by anyone on either side. Set your own agenda.

http://www.vegsoc.org/

Sounds good to me - I decided to become Vegetarian just 31 years ago - after the first four years I also became Vegan, but after 18 months decided it wasn't for me (no cheese, tea and coffee without milk)

8 years after first becoming Vegetarian, I started eating fish, and for the last 23 years that's exactly the way I've stayed i.e no poultry, no meat, so I've 'found my own level'

In the earlier days, although I never pushed vegetarianism in peoples faces, or tried to convert them, people would often feel threatened by it and make comments like 'you're a vegetarian but you wear leather shoes' which is (arguably) more of a Vegan issue, and I did learn much later on to say it how I felt it "I'm just finding my own level with this - I'm doing the best I can"

Interestingly, people who eat fish but not meat/poultry often describe themselves as Vegetarians these days, and it seems to becoming accepted - it's definitely outside the definition of Vegetarian though!

Archived