I've decided to become a vegetarian

Not wishing to take the thread off course or cause offence, but I've never seen the point in becoming a vegetarian, or the reasons for it.

Killing animals has been a way of life ever since there was life on the planet. If it is the animals welfare that is the reason for going veggie this is also a little puzzling. Most (not all, I agree) animals that are killed for human consumption are done in a humane way, such as a stun gun to the head which kills the animal instantly with no pain or suffering.

If humans didn't eat meat, that animal would be out in the wild where it would likely be torn to shreds by a natural predator and left sometimes for days in excruciating agony.

I know a couple of veggies, and they become angry when anything on TV shows how animals are slaughtered by humans yet find nature programs that depict how lions will chase and rip the head off their prey to be fascinating and perfectly OK. Just seems odd to me...

I agree with them, our natural relationship with animals as prey and predator involves us weeding out the weakest of the species as our food source. Lions still do this, we don't! Our method of getting meat does not allow the fittest to survive and they have no hope of freedom.

Watching baby chicks on coveyor belts in factories utterly disgusts me. Watching a lion kill food for its offspring is natural and completely different. (although it still involves me hiding behind a cushion to be honest!)

I agree with them, our natural relationship with animals as prey and predator involves us weeding out the weakest of the species as our food source. Lions still do this, we don't! Our method of getting meat does not allow the fittest to survive and they have no hope of freedom.

Watching baby chicks on coveyor belts in factories utterly disgusts me. Watching a lion kill food for its offspring is natural and completely different. (although it still involves me hiding behind a cushion to be honest!)

your post confuses me, you hide behind the sofa at something normal happening in the wild?

I have killed many animals for food, or to stop its suffering, and i love meat but that doesnt mean i like animal cruelty.

But if the baby chicks have never been let out into the wild, they don't know any different.

So you would happily watch an antelope desperately running for survival, caught by a lion which rips its front legs off before eating the thing alive? Yes, it is natural but its often far more cruel than breeding an animal that knows no different to living in an artificial world.

If humans didn't eat meat, that cow, pig, sheep, chicken or whatever, wouldn't exist in the first place. Most meat eaten today isn't wild in any sense (although it may be a bit angry at being eaten).

rubbish, they are bred and selected from wild animals 1000's or hundreds of years ago....

Ermmm... exactly!

Ermmm... exactly!

Why is that an issue? Precious few dogs or cats would survive in the wild now. Surely that is immoral as well? Before we came a long, a dog wouldn't have had a kennel, a place to sleep and breakfast lunch and tea provided without having to kill.

But if the baby chicks have never been let out into the wild, they don't know any different.

So you would happily watch an antelope desperately running for survival, caught by a lion which rips its front legs off before eating the thing alive? Yes, it is natural but its often far more cruel than breeding an animal that knows no different to living in an artificial world.

children in the slums of bangladesh don't know any different, loving your well informed argument though:loopy:

Why is that an issue? Precious few dogs or cats would survive in the wild now. Surely that is immoral as well? Before we came a long, a dog wouldn't have had a kennel, a place to sleep and breakfast lunch and tea provided without having to kill.

it wouldnt take long to get back natural instincts

I thought we were talking about animals that would not exist if they hadn't been bred in their millions just to be used as food.

how can you get a animal that did not exist then suddeny bernard matthews etc comes along and invents a new animal lol. now i have heard everything

This makes no sense. Nature is unthinking, utterly amoral and as such pitiless. We however are thinking moral beings with a responsibility for the choices we make as we try to live our lives. The indifference of the former doesn't justify needless cruelty in the latter.

Archived