Prepacked veg compared to loose - Huge savings

JJRB

Been to Tesco and 500g of prepacked carrots is promoted at special price of 50p. Yet bang next to them are the loose carrots - at 67p per kg!!! So equiv to 34p or so if buying 500g of loose.

Brocolli, prepacked again was a lot dearer - a quick look at the label on the brocolli and the shelf edge label of the loose showed the price per kg and it was about 30p different.

Yet I saw people picking up the prepacked all the time - how much money are people wasting with prepacked???

Any other money saving grocery tips anyone??

Been to Tesco and 500g of prepacked carrots is promoted at special price of 50p. Yet bang next to them are the loose carrots - at 67p per kg!!! So equiv to 34p or so if buying 500g of loose.

Brocolli, prepacked again was a lot dearer - a quick look at the label on the brocolli and the shelf edge label of the loose showed the price per kg and it was about 30p different.

Yet I saw people picking up the prepacked all the time - how much money are people wasting with prepacked???

Any other money saving grocery tips anyone??

because people dont look at the actual price stated, rather buy them in a bag (i dont,i compare price per weight and often see things twice as much if pre packed....

Yeah, go to a greengrocer if you can find one. Their vegetables are generally cheaper than at a supermarket.

not often cheaper but i prefer to support them and butchers....i get my stuff from the butchers and where i can, get stuff from the greengrocers if i can afford too.

It isn't always true that loose=cheaper.

But the principle of checking price per weight holds fast.

Sometimes 'offer' bags have no weight shown so you have to find a weighing scale to check.

This week, 'bagged' clementines in Sainsburys were cheaper than the loose.

It isn't always true that loose=cheaper.

But the principle of checking price per weight holds fast.

Sometimes 'offer' bags have no weight shown so you have to find a weighing scale to check.

This week, 'bagged' clementines in Sainsburys were cheaper than the loose.

true, i check both and special offers but its surprising how much bagged stuff compares to loose most of the time.

Asda did a promotion on Strongbow a while ago. (I say promotion, it's always on offer to some degree!)

£3 for 4 cans. (75p per can)

They were also doing a case of 12 cans for £10 (83p per can).

We loaded up on the 4 packs figuring it was a) cheaper and b) easier to carry since we were walking home.

Someone at the till still told us we'd be save money if we bought the multi pack. Tried to explain but they were having none of it :).

Also, homepride pasta bakes cheese and tomato was on offer at Asda last week - 71p each or 2 for £1.50. I think they have a bug in their system though because the offers on the pasta bakes always seem a bit wierd.

Asda milk - it's currently £2 for 2 x 4 pint bottles, and £4 for 2 x 6 pints. If you were going to spend £4 on milk, you might as well get 4 x 4 pint bottles and come away with 16 pints instead of 12 !!

in Firth Park at butchers next to NatWest bank milk there is 79p for 4 pints:o:D

Archived