British women are branded the 'ugliest in the world'

I remember growing up as a gawky adolescent in the 1950s the way girls were then.

This was before the scourge of the Golden Arches and their ilk and it was rare to see overweight girls or women under middle age.

They went to beauty salons to have their hair done once a week, shopped at the Co-Op and Woolies to buy the cheap but nice clothes and went with their boyfriends or husbands for drinks at the pub.

No girl stag boozing binges or tossing up their McDonalds's Big Macs or curries in the gutter at chucking out time.

If I went dancing at the Palais on Saturday nights on my own I wouldnt end up dancing with some overweight drunken ladette but a girl who had dressed up to look her best and even if she wasnt gifted with the best of looks she still managed to look attractive enough to want to dance with and worthy of a future date with a fine specimen of young manhood such as I was. Most girls drank gin and orange or Baby Chams but never enough to make fools of themselves and they smoked too but so did I and when the snogging session started two people who smelled like human ashtrays offended neither of us.

Good days to remember and fortunate to have grown up in that era.

I remember Macedonian ex Barnsley striker Georgi Hristov got in hot water when he compared Barnsley women unfavourably to the women in his homeland. Poor bloke had to do penance by appearing in the Star kissing some Barnsley lass and pretending he'd been misquoted. Apparently "beer swilling heffer" in Macedonian is quite similar to "beautiful angel in a shellsuit" :D

Liz White who starred as a police woman in Life On Mars comes from Barnsley.

She'd easily rate at least an 8 er on a scale of 1 to 10

I remember growing up as a gawky adolescent in the 1950s the way girls were then.

This was before the scourge of the Golden Arches and their ilk and it was rare to see overweight girls or women under middle age.

They went to beauty salons to have their hair done once a week, shopped at the Co-Op and Woolies to buy the cheap but nice clothes and went with their boyfriends or husbands for drinks at the pub.

No girl stag boozing binges or tossing up their McDonalds's Big Macs or curries in the gutter at chucking out time.

If I went dancing at the Palais on Saturday nights on my own I wouldnt end up dancing with some overweight drunken ladette but a girl who had dressed up to look her best and even if she wasnt gifted with the best of looks she still managed to look attractive enough to want to dance with and worthy of a future date with a fine specimen of young manhood such as I was. Most girls drank gin and orange or Baby Chams but never enough to make fools of themselves and they smoked too but so did I and when the snogging session started two people who smelled like human ashtrays offended neither of us.

Good days to remember and fortunate to have grown up in that era.

On the odd occasion I go for a big night out in town, the vast majority of women I see are neither obese, chucking up nor making fools of themselves. It depends where you go I suppose.

I remember Macedonian ex Barnsley striker Georgi Hristov got in hot water when he compared Barnsley women unfavourably to the women in his homeland. Poor bloke had to do penance by appearing in the Star kissing some Barnsley lass and pretending he'd been misquoted. Apparently "beer swilling heffer" in Macedonian is quite similar to "beautiful angel in a shellsuit" :D

Maybe he'd just watched Rita, Sue and Bob Too?

Archived