What happened to fiveways motel owler Bar

Ron King

I worked there from it opening as Fiveways (about April 1976) to when Mick Lee, the Manager, opened the Mulberry Tavern on Arundel Gate in November when I went to the Mulberry.

Steve Cheetham was the Bar Manager, Stuart Burnham and Wayne Chadwick were the DJs. Stuart became a victim of drugs and died some years ago, Wayne came out a couple years ago and is as gay as a gay person can be! Mick Lee runs a big security firm.

I remember you Ron, you are a big guy wore glasses. Nice chap, good to hear of you.

Whatever happened to the Vickers?

I remember the skeleton they used to have in the window near the entrance when it was fiveways, also a doorman called Richard who lived in Dronfield who i think had a stationary business aswell...

I worked there from it opening as Fiveways (about April 1976) to when Mick Lee, the Manager, opened the Mulberry Tavern on Arundel Gate in November when I went to the Mulberry.

Steve Cheetham was the Bar Manager, Stuart Burnham and Wayne Chadwick were the DJs. Stuart became a victim of drugs and died some years ago, Wayne came out a couple years ago and is as gay as a gay person can be! Mick Lee runs a big security firm.

I remember you Ron, you are a big guy wore glasses. Nice chap, good to hear of you.

Whatever happened to the Vickers?

is wayne chadwick still in the pub trade, because he used to run the wig and pen i think, in town

Do you remember the cocktail bar/restaurant to the left as you went in?

I think the barmaid was called Avril Ball...I remember the Palfreymans.

Yes one of the barmaids was Avril, Avril is my aunty, my mum lise also worked there when it was Fanny's and my nan Oriel ran it when it was Five Ways Motel!

is wayne chadwick still in the pub trade, because he used to run the wig and pen i think, in town

Ye Stuart was a very good friend and his brother Keith I was shocked to hear about Stuart but he was into drugs in a big way Missed but not forgoten:(

The last thing I heard about les and betty was he went bust but do not beleave everything I hear

Yes one of the barmaids was Avril' date=' Avril is my aunty, my mum lise also worked there when it was Fanny's and my nan Oriel ran it when it was Five Ways Motel![/quote']

I remember them well ask he the name of the sexy barmaid and what was her husbands name they were all good friends our family can tell you a tale or 2 some very good times were had by all

• 10 months later...

Well well well, you old so n so Ron, it's your old mate oriel here, glad you thought we were sexy barmaids, didn't we have some great times?Any way Les and Betty bought it back from them at the price they had sold it atand ran it still as Fannies,they still had Barrow boys on Commercial st. Where i worked till they bought the club back then went to work there,my daughter Abbie was never a barmaid, she couldn't add up,but Lise was,though Abbie was there most nights. Do you remember Pete Rutherford, he was always with Betty,well he came in as manager,of the club, Georgio, the red haired Italion bloke, ran the restaurant and also victor, who later had Mario's on Abbeydale rd.It was poor Barry Vickers who sufford most. When Lesssss bought the Ark Royal for scrap Barry went up to cut it up but fell from the deck and smashed his pelvis but survived,his daughtersome tyears later had his first grandchild, a little girl, but sadly she died of cot death at 22mths,it broke his heart.Les and Betty I believe retired to their place in bermuda.He bo7ght his daughter Lisa a nightclub in Rotherham for her 21ST Pete died about 9yrs ago from cancer he was only in his 40's. Big scot George bought the Mulbery after Mick left,take care luv and send us a message

Archived