Bingleys in Grimesthorpe

greasychipbu

Hi chipbut, If you were the cousin of John you are also my cousin and olive was our auntie. Everything that has been written about her by \brian was true she waS FRIGHTENING BUT WITH A HEART OF GOLD I was often paid sixpence as a young lass to tidy up for her before her husband came home from work and her house was open house for the police force of Grimesthorpe to pop in for a cuppa she waS A ONE OFF.

Hi chipbut, If you were the cousin of John you are also my cousin and olive was our auntie. Everything that has been written about her by \brian was true she waS FRIGHTENING BUT WITH A HEART OF GOLD I was often paid sixpence as a young lass to tidy up for her before her husband came home from work and her house was open house for the police force of Grimesthorpe to pop in for a cuppa she waS A ONE OFF.

You have got that right Granny P , she did have a heart of gold.

Are you my cousin,? I will have to give you a pat on the back for working that out.If not then Paul is slim.

Hi chipbut, If you were the cousin of John you are also my cousin and olive was our auntie. Everything that has been written about her by \brian was true she waS FRIGHTENING BUT WITH A HEART OF GOLD I was often paid sixpence as a young lass to tidy up for her before her husband came home from work and her house was open house for the police force of Grimesthorpe to pop in for a cuppa she waS A ONE OFF.[/quote-----

THE SIXPENCE ( THE OLD TANNER WE CALLED IT ) THAT OLIVE GAVE ME

FOR WHITE WASHING HER CELLER GOT ME A DONKEY RIDE AT CLEETHORPE,

WE WENT TO BEACHHOLMES ON HOLIDAY. :):):)

She must have had a bag of those sixpences Brian. It was my regular source of income as a kid.My mother was Ethel. ,Olive.s younger sister a quiet unassuming woman as different from Olive as chalk is from cheese.

---------------

GRANNY P,----------- GRIMESTHORPE RD.

DID YOU KNOW A COUPLE THAT LIVED ACROSS RD UP ST A LITTLE,

NOT SURE IF YOU HAD TO CLIMB UP SOME STEPS AND I THINK IT HAD

RAILINGS ROUND THE FRONT BIT OF GARDEN.

THE COUPLE HAD AN ALSATION DOG, I REMEMBER THE CHAP WAS SMALL

AND I THINK THEY WERE A BINGLY FAMILY.:confused:

Yes the houses you refer to were up a few steps two houses surrounded by railings then an entry and two more houses . The first house was where the Bingleys lived and their married son Harry lived with them,he was the one with the alsation. The next house was the Parnells and across the entry was the Blakes and the Lowes. At the side of the Bingleys was a drop and a wide 'entry' at the top were a row of houses and I think the first family at the top were Elliots. Wards and Hodges lived opposite and their yard backed onto Bingleys back yard.

[quote=brian1941;

I remember that big high wall, did it over look onto carlise st.

I think you will find that over the big brick wall at the top of Sharp St was the old Sheffield Brick Company site ?

-------------

SHIPPY, I WORKED FOR A SHEFFIELD BRICK COMPANY ON RUTLAND RD IN

THE 1959/63, I NEVER HEARD OF A BRICK COMPANY IN GRIMESTHORPE.

<< RUTLAND RD WAS IN NEEPSEND, SHEFF 3. :huh:

PS, yes the high wall was over carlisle st,

Archived