Bingleys in Grimesthorpe

greasychipbu

Yes the houses you refer to were up a few steps two houses surrounded by railings then an entry and two more houses . The first house was where the Bingleys lived and their married son Harry lived with them,he was the one with the alsation. The next house was the Parnells and across the entry was the Blakes and the Lowes. At the side of the Bingleys was a drop and a wide 'entry' at the top were a row of houses and I think the first family at the top were Elliots. Wards and Hodges lived opposite and their yard backed onto Bingleys back yard.

My dad is mates with Charlie Lowe and knew Jack Lowe. My memory of the 60's is fading but I think that Charlie Akers was related to them and lived on Grimesthorpe Road.

-------------

SHIPPY, I WORKED FOR A SHEFFIELD BRICK COMPANY ON RUTLAND RD IN

THE 1959/63, I NEVER HEARD OF A BRICK COMPANY IN GRIMESTHORPE.

<< RUTLAND RD WAS IN NEEPSEND, SHEFF 3. :huh:

Brian, the gates to the brick works was at the end of Ruthin St at the side of the Who Can Tell pub, Sheila will remember that.

Brian, the gates to the brick works was at the end of Ruthin St at the side of the Who Can Tell pub, Sheila will remember that.

When we were kids you could get into the brickyard through the gate that skippy has mentioned (must have been broken) or down the tip, access off of Petre st. I also remember some old rusted machinery (brick crushers, I think) that were still fastened to the old cement slab floor.

You are right there Mickey D Charlie Akers I think was married to one of the Lowe girls. I saw Charlie Lowe a couple of years ago, sadly at a funeral but he was just the same and I would have still recognised him. He is a friend of my uncle - one of the Bingleys

I seem to remember his wife being called Jenny.

you beat me to it trev,was going to let brian know.he spent enough time in the hooker he should have known that.where abouts was the brick yard on rutland rd was reading in the paper about it last week but can't visualise it.:love:to you both xx

To Mickey D Yes one of the girls was called Jenny and the younger one was Mary they were friends of my auntie Kath who was one of the daughters of the Bingleys.

I remember Mary being married to a farmer and living out at Wales Bar / Kiveton

Hello shelia,

yes we`ve had some good times in who can tell pub and crown on the crown

hill, if hook`er were open now the`d be a few people owe`ing me some

drinks.

Have`nt we had some laughs in there, wern`t they some charaters,

i suppose to some people i might have been to them.

Do you remember albert parr going in, he use to sit in middle room

singing i`am not all their. ?? What was that.

Archived