Vitamins for tiredness

Taking extra vitamins is not necessary with our modern diets as a lot of foodstuffs are supplemented and its extremely rare for people these days to suffer from deficiencies.

The 5 a day idea for health has also been debunked so eating lost of fruit and vegetables makes no difference. Be careful too as some of the other supplements mentioned here have absolutely no proven effect and will just drain the wallet.

Perhaps the OP's husband is also suffering from depression caused by his illness. Depression can be hard to spot and is also known to cause lethargy and tiredness.

Unless the doctor recommends taking them then don't.

From the above post it looks like the OP has already made up her mind!

To me vitamins are nothing but a ripoff, but they do help people that believe in their head that there doing some good, the vitamin industry relys on these people, good for the economy too , keeps people in jobs, makes people spend, i'm not just one of them that can toss my money away on over the counter crap thats never been proven to work.

What a load of tripe!

That's precisely how I felt when I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue back in 1995. What triggered it, I believe, was a severe bout of flu, then the fatigue set in just as I recovered from it. The condition waxed and waned for another 4-5 years before it finally disappeared.

So, what lead you to understand things in this way?

Science and biology research mainly. I have also talked to several scientists about this matter and most state that there is no benefit unless you are deficient in some way. I have never found a medical expert or doctor that would recommend vitamin supplements unless you were deficient in them in the first place. Most of the claims that they do work come from the marketing companies and not clinical research trials. Some of the claims about them are simply preposterous and not proven.

With some vitamins such as vit C once you have the RDA any excess is passed out in the urine and not stored. With some of the others too much can be worse than not having enough. If you have no deficiency then taking extra supplements can be counter productive.

Sorry I forgot.

For pregnant women taking extra folic acid B9 supplements is a good idea.

So, what lead you to understand things in this way?

Science and biology research mainly. I have also talked to several scientists about this matter and most state that there is no benefit unless you are deficient in some way. I have never found a medical expert or doctor that would recommend vitamin supplements unless you were deficient in them in the first place. Most of the claims that they do work come from the marketing companies and not clinical research trials. Some of the claims about them are simply preposterous and not proven.

With some vitamins such as vit C once you have the RDA any excess is passed out in the urine and not stored. With some of the others too much can be worse than not having enough. If you have no deficiency then taking extra supplements can be counter productive.

"Science and biology research" doesn't really mean anything to me, I'm afraid. It could mean lots of things.

So, most scientists state there is no benefit unless you are deficient. That's like saying you have taken enough of something unless you haven't taken enough of it. What about the rest of these "scientists", does their opinion not count?

Whatever research you look at, there is either money involved or someone's pride. Drug companies do their best to demerit the efficacy of vitamins and minerals because they can't patent them and are often an alternative to drugs. Clinical research trials are not infallible or unfalsifiable.

The RDA for Vitamin C as I understand it, is the amount needed to prevent a certain disease, scurvy. It actually is used by the body in many ways, so to put a limit on its efficacy is incorrect. To say you just **** out anything over the RDA is nonsense.

"Science and biology research" doesn't really mean anything to me, I'm afraid. It could mean lots of things.

So, most scientists state there is no benefit unless you are deficient. That's like saying you have taken enough of something unless you have taken enough of it. What about the rest of these "scientists", does their opinion not count?

Whatever research you look at, there is either money involved or someone's pride. Drug companies do their best to demerit the efficacy of vitamins and minerals because they can't patent them and are often an alternative to drugs. Clinical research trials are not infallible or unfalsifiable.

The RDA for Vitamin C as I understand it, is the amount needed to prevent a certain disease, scurvy. It actually is used by the body in many ways, so to put a limit on its efficacy is incorrect. To say you just **** out anything over the RDA is nonsense.

Totoally agree. Think 'fake' has spoke to all the scientists in the world lol.

Archived