Silver jubilee 1977

jdamarine

Was anybody celebrating on uppervalley road on that day? It was amazing! The whole road was full of of people celebrating, no cars allowed and the middle of road full of peoples tables full of party food. Also can remember getting my silver jubilee coin from school, Dropped mine on way home from bankwood junior school, Big scratch on it, Gutted!

We were living on Francis Street (Attercliffe) during the celebrations. We were married that year & I remember the bunting on the street, tables laden with food & drink & a piano on an open backed truck. Everyone in hats, waving flags & having a fantastic time, Good Old Community Spirit :smile: Wonder if we would have the same spirit nowdays? probably not, everyone meeting themselves coming back & probably not knowing most of their neighbours :(

We were living on Francis Street (Attercliffe) during the celebrations. We were married that year & I remember the bunting on the street, tables laden with food & drink & a piano on an open backed truck. Everyone in hats, waving flags & having a fantastic time, Good Old Community Spirit :smile: Wonder if we would have the same spirit nowdays? probably not, everyone meeting themselves coming back & probably not knowing most of their neighbours :(

...hardly anything for the more important "Golden Jubilee" ! in 2002 ?

Cant recall any street parties or anything !

We even had 2 Sheffield buses painted silver for 77 Jubillee year , but no gold ones for '02 - only in London -, for what should have been a bigger celebration ?

Sign of the demise in Royalty interest or the country as a whole ?

I remember the silver jubilee, we had as street party on Station Road at Chapeltown and as you say, I can't see it happening now ! Everyone contributed, they all got together and decided who was doing what, lovely ! I was living overseas when it was the Golden one so I don't know what that was like.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Does anyone have any pictures of the Silver Jubilee celebrations around Darnall and Attercliffe area please x

i said some, i have 1 that i have found, lent all the really old photo albums that i got after mi dad died to mi mum tho, could be more in those ive forgot

i've found it out tho