The Tax Debacle

I just found out from another forum I read that HMRC are considering taking over the payment of salary to everyone in the country. Employers pay the gross wage to HMRC and they pay it net of deductions to employees.

I can't see this actually happening (2015 is the proposed date) - but if it did, it sounds like far, far too much power for the government to wield.

'The computer is doing it' fails to explain why 4.3 millions will get a £400 refund, and 1.4 millions will get a £1500 bill. Nice round numbers.

Computers are very stupid things, they only do what they're told to do.

A person's tax liability is highly unlikely to be mirror-precisely the same as someone else's (to the extent of some 4 million people out of the 6 having the exact same liability), so can I ask how these figures -particularly the exact same rebate for millions of taxpayers- were arrived at?

Looks more to me like someone at No.10 or Whitehall found a bit of a hole and is trying to find something to plug it with, and bag some voters in the process :twisted:

There is rarely smoke without fire. :suspect:

I wouldn't have trusted anyone in the past Labour administration to oil the spring on a pogo stick. Some demented soul posted that governments have nothing to do with HMRC, god they really did a job on some folk. :confused:

At the risk of being accused of bickering - some demented soul didn't post "that governments have nothing to do with HMRC" - but who cares about the truth when a distortion serves our purposes better

Whatever you say. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So anything over £300.00 and I'm a debtor, whilst any sum less makes me a reluctant philanthropist, at least Dick Turpin had the good grace to wear a mask. Us common people are classed as transgressors if we err, you

guys simply apply tolerances on yourselves.

How about trying something innovative by doing your job properly? No wonder the majority of the private sector looks at the public sector as being not fit for purpose. :loopy:

By the way, this was not personal.

Not sure I understand your point. If you owe £300 HMRC will want it, if you owe £299 they aren't going to bother, that's the tolerance set this year.

If HRMC were to go after every debtor, no matter how small, they'd then get accused of overkill and wasting public money :rolleyes: So what do you want them to do, not apply any tolerances? Write out to everyone under or over paid by £5? £10? What, name your figure.

As I've said, under and over payments occur every single year for a whole load of reasons. Reconciliation happens at the end of the tax year when everyone's P14s are processed and matched with their pay and tax.

If during the year someone has got a new company car, or changed their company car or moved jobs and not sent in a P45 or had a period of unemployment and not signed on etc there will be an under or over payment at the the end of the year. It's always happened and it always will whilst the current PAYE system is in place.

Maybe you'd like to suggest an alternative rather than just having an ill-informed rant about the public sector as per usual.

Not sure I understand your point. If you owe £300 HMRC will want it, if you owe £299 they aren't going to bother, that's the tolerance set this year.

If HRMC were to go after every debtor, no matter how small, they'd then get accused of overkill and wasting public money :rolleyes: So what do you want them to do, not apply any tolerances? Write out to everyone under or over paid by £5? £10? What, name your figure.

As I've said, under and over payments occur every single year for a whole load of reasons. Reconciliation happens at the end of the tax year when everyone's P14s are processed and matched with their pay and tax.

If during the year someone has got a new company car, or changed their company car or moved jobs and not sent in a P45 or had a period of unemployment and not signed on etc there will be an under or over payment at the the end of the year. It's always happened and it always will whilst the current PAYE system is in place.

Maybe you'd like to suggest an alternative rather than just having an ill-informed rant about the public sector as per usual.

You're batting on a very sticky wicket mate, public sector incompetence is endemic within the system.

I recently accepted an early retirement package because my section of the business had passed it's sell by date, and quite right to. You lot just bumble along chanting revenue policy, but you will always be employed, won't you?

Don't dare accuse me of ranting, you and your like would not last 10 minutes in the private sector.

You're batting on a very sticky wicket mate, public sector incompetence is endemic within the system.

I recently accepted an early retirement package because my section of the business had passed it's sell by date, and quite right to. You lot just bumble along chanting revenue policy, but you will always be employed, won't you?

Don't dare accuse me of ranting, you and your like would not last 10 minutes in the private sector.

You didn't clarify exactly how this is different to the private sector?

The £300 tolerance works either way Crookesey, over or under paid by less than £300 and no action taken.

The national press are now reporting that HMRC only have 12 months to chase you for back tax and that anything beyond that should not be paid and should be challenged.

Archived