The Tax Debacle

The £300 tolerance works either way Crookesey, over or under paid by less than £300 and no action taken.

The national press are now reporting that HMRC only have 12 months to chase you for back tax and that anything beyond that should not be paid and should be challenged.

Yep,I've read today that they must apply for repayment within 12 months of the end of the tax year that you underpaid...

You didn't clarify exactly how this is different to the private sector?

Because every aspect of the private sector is accountable for it's actions, whilst HMRC appears to consider itself to be untouchable. Even the government is accountable, hence greedy Gordon's departure, perhaps David Cameron had better remind them that they are servants of the people, as they appear to think that it's the other way round.

I'm not sure every aspect of the private sector is accountable for its actions - I've worked in the private sector for 30 years so far and seen a lot of things which, if done by Civil Servants, would have resulted in instant dismissal, but I do agree with the general argument that many public sector employees forget who pays their wages, and that their "customers" i.e us, are often an incovenience, getting in the way of them sorting out holidays, facebooking, posting on Sheffield Forum etc

Obviously there are always exceptions, but many public sector employees would find it difficult to adapt to the private sector - I've seen it dozens of times over the last 30 years

I managed 48 years in the private sector (you only get 14 years for murder :hihi:), when I started work nothing was regulated, when I finished practically everything was regulated.

Don't get me wrong, I fell under the regulation of the Financial Services Authority, a bigger set of jobsworths would be very hard to find. IMHO HMRC need to work to a set of service standards, laid down by an independent authority.

David Cameron will not be blamed for the current fiasco, so what a good time to kick ass. My son is earning circa £6,000 p/a working part time whilst studying for a degree, he is on emergency tax (40%), they will not issue him with a notification of coding or return his latest P45 to him, what a set of idiots.

Because every aspect of the private sector is accountable for it's actions, whilst HMRC appears to consider itself to be untouchable. Even the government is accountable, hence greedy Gordon's departure, perhaps David Cameron had better remind them that they are servants of the people, as they appear to think that it's the other way round.

I still don't understand. What exactly is it that they've done that is different to how the private sector works?

Is it recalculating peoples tax bills?

Is it writing off debt?

I just don't really understand. When I've dealt with them, much of the time it's fairly straighforward, and a few years ago they spent ages helping sort out a tax issue for some of my colleagues as they were being taxed by our employer incorrectly.

Or is it just an excuse to 'have a go'?

David Cameron will not be blamed for the current fiasco, so what a good time to kick ass. My son is earning circa £6,000 p/a working part time whilst studying for a degree, he is on emergency tax (40%), they will not issue him with a notification of coding or return his latest P45 to him, what a set of idiots.

He should have a copy of his P45.

If not, he needs to ask his employer for a P46 and fill that in. They should then be able to put him onto the correct tax code themselves, and pay back any income tax paid.

He should have a copy of his P45.

If not, he needs to ask his employer for a P46 and fill that in. They should then be able to put him onto the correct tax code themselves, and pay back any income tax paid.

He had to hand his P45 over when he signed on following a serious operation, he hasn't worked again until now, they are unable to comprehend this.

You accuse me of 'having a go', well at least I can have a go. All I want is that HMRC are accountable, to someone or something, not too much to ask is it?

He had to hand his P45 over when he signed on following a serious operation, he hasn't worked again until now, they are unable to comprehend this.

You accuse me of 'having a go', well at least I can have a go. All I want is that HMRC are accountable, to someone or something, not too much to ask is it?

So has he filled a P46 in or not? It is what he puts on the P46 that determines what tax code the employer operates. If he cannot sign a P46 then the employer is legally obliged to operate BR.

The tax office don't need to comprehend it - providing he fills in a P46 and gives it to his employer then they will use the correct tax code.

Archived