The Tax Debacle

It's isn't only working people who have fallen victim to this **** up. Lots of pensioners with small private pensions have been badly hit with coding errors.

Since my wife became 65 and her tax allowance jumped from £5k+ to £9k+ HMRC have trebled the amount they deduct from her private pension every month. :loopy:

Her tax office have been contacted twice about the matter,which they said they would 'look into'. She hasn't had a coding notice this year but they must have given her pension provider some reason to deduct so much more tax.

I have just heard that HMRC so no reason to apolologise for the mass **** up re tax!!!! How arrogant is this man Dave Harnett. I was incandesant with rage!!! Bet your sweet life he won't be affected.

It is bound to cause headaches for some people. Any computer is only as good as the person who sets it up....................sack them now!

Under and over payments happen every single year. That is how the PAYE system works, it issues a code at the start of the year then reconciles a persons earnings with how much tax they've paid at the end of the year. If a persons circumstances have changed over the year then there may well be an under or overpayment.

It has been highlighted this year solely because the reconciliation is being done by a computer rather than manually. Therefore millions of letters are being sent out in a shorter period of time and therefore it has made the news.

Any under or overpayments of less than £300 will be ignored.

Now, perhaps you'd like to suggest a better method of calculating and collecting peoples' taxes rather than PAYE?

Apologies mean nothing,it is just an easy cop out.

Why should an apology be made for stuff that happened years ago?

For instance the slave trade,at least it has now been stopped in most civilized countries.

errrrrrrrrm i think your in the wrong thread dude this ones about tax, the slavery threads that way ----------------->

Archived