Self sufficiency and culling your own chickens. Help!!

I'm thinking of raising my male chicks as table birds. But know there is no way I will be able to cull the birds myself. Does anyone know if there are any abattoirs that do the dirty work for you? I'm loving the self-sufficiency thing, but thinking I may have to turn vegetarian, and am in danger of being over run with oap chucks!! :)

Get somebody to show you how to do it properly, then do it yourself in future :)

Liking the self sufficiency thing - I'd like a veggi patch in my garden and a chicken hutch, but you couldn't swing a cat in our garden :(

Bloody heck, necking chickens and hanging cats. :hihi:

I used to have to go down and wring the necks of a mate of mines when they stopped laying . He used to give me a chicken or two though.

He was happy to take their eggs though and eat them after I had plucked and cleaned them up no problem, but could come round to doing it himself.

I'm thinking of raising my male chicks as table birds. But know there is no way I will be able to cull the birds myself. Does anyone know if there are any abattoirs that do the dirty work for you? I'm loving the self-sufficiency thing, but thinking I may have to turn vegetarian, and am in danger of being over run with oap chucks!! :)

I think you mean kill. Cull is removing unwanted individuals from a population because of unwanted characteristics, I think.

I'm sure you'd be better doing it yourself with instruction. After the first time, it would become easier.

Archived