Does anyone know what my NVQ Level 3 is worth?

Whats an NVQ

NVQ's are what some employers put their employees on that don't think they're really capable of achieving anything higher.

In this world of employment it's not what you know but who you know.

My philosophy, do it for yourself and sod the middle man :D

NVQ= http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039029

Hi.

After getting told several different things by different individuals I need some advice on what to do.

I have an NVQ Level 3 in Childcare and Education. Along with this I have Key Skills Level 2 in English, Maths and I.T.

I want to get onto a teaching degree somewhere in the near future but i have been told by a Universtiy Advisor that my NVQ doesn't equate to anything and I need to do my GCSE's as I didn't get A-C's the first time round. I'm enrolling on a Math's GCSE course this week but a few people have now said that my NVQ and seven years experience should be enough.

ARRRGGHHH confused.com!!!

Does anyone actually know what I should do to get onto a teaching degree or a foundation degree?

Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Laura :help:

Hi Laura

With regards to your NVQ Level 3, it is the equivalent of 2/3 A levels. The University advisor that you spoke to perhaps is telling you the requirements of getting on a particular course at the University he is talking about.

You will certainly need Maths at GCSE level.

It also depends on what you want to teach and to whom. If you want to teach secondary school level then you'll need QTS (Qualified Teaching Status), if you want tp teach post compulsory education (e.g. at an F.E. college) then you don't need QTS, but something like the PCET course taught at Hallam.

Can I refer you to the TDA website, which has all the relevant information you need.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/

Good luck!

Hi Laura

You will find for teaching you will need a minimum A-C GCSE in maths, english and possibly a science (it is for Primary teaching anyway) - this is a government stipulation for teachers. The TDA site that you have been directed to should give you more information and the course providers will definitely be able to let you know what you will need to do to be considered.

Good luck :)

Hi.

After getting told several different things by different individuals I need some advice on what to do.

I have an NVQ Level 3 in Childcare and Education. Along with this I have Key Skills Level 2 in English, Maths and I.T.

I want to get onto a teaching degree somewhere in the near future but i have been told by a Universtiy Advisor that my NVQ doesn't equate to anything and I need to do my GCSE's as I didn't get A-C's the first time round. I'm enrolling on a Math's GCSE course this week but a few people have now said that my NVQ and seven years experience should be enough.

ARRRGGHHH confused.com!!!

Does anyone actually know what I should do to get onto a teaching degree or a foundation degree?

Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Laura :help:

If you want to teach you will need a grade C in Maths at gcse,which is essential to matriculate.The few people who have advised you are ptrobably misguided.I imagine your NVQ equates to GCSE level but I should speak to the institution where you plan to apply-their view is surely the only one that matters!

Hi Laura,

Although NVQ's are the equivalent to 2 A levels because they are vocational not academic Universities do not take them as an A level equivalent. As other posters have said you will need Maths, English and Science at GCSE grade A to C. You will also need 2 A levels or an academic equivalent such as the Cache diploma in childcare and education.

Good luck!

Only by people who have no idea how much commitment and work goes into them

That's exactly his point. Many employers, and many course providers, will ignore any qualification, no matter what it is equivalent to, unless it actually is the qualification they lay down as a requirement.

A NVQ level 3 is equivalent to some number of A levels, but so what? I've known people apply for a job which required two GCSEs, who had a bachelor's degree and were turned down for not having GCSEs. Finding that someone with an A-level equivalent is not counted as having A-levels should come as no surprise to anybody.

Hi Laura,

Although NVQ's are the equivalent to 2 A levels because they are vocational not academic Universities do not take them as an A level equivalent. As other posters have said you will need Maths, English and Science at GCSE grade A to C. You will also need 2 A levels or an academic equivalent such as the Cache diploma in childcare and education.

Good luck!

the UCAS points vary per institution - as does the requirement to have undertaken x number of days (sometimes continous work) - paid / unpaid work in an educational setting.

NVQs ahe been discredited due to their reliance on assignments and other means of assessment which are executed outside a supervised regime meaning plagarism and other forms of malpractice are rife.Poor tutors obscure the low standards by inflating marks;NVQs are recognised by other NVQ providers but are regarded with sceptism by employers and universities.

I am surprised that Laura has pursued a course without working out its value before commiting herself to so many years of study.

Archived