Nice pubs in Hillsborough?

Florent

to be fair, they are both ****e.

like I say -

One man's idea of a good pub is another's worst nightmare.

I like a pub where I can have a beer, a sit down and a chat without having to put up with couldn't-care-less bar staff, speakers blaring out rubbish at a touch over the human pain threshold and not have to fight my way to/from the bar/toilets. I generally avoid town if I want a beer ;-)

Hillsborough Does Tend To Be A Bit Crap.Unless You're Looking For A Fight,Of Course.

It Might Be Worth A Wander Upto Walkley Though.There's Loads Of Good Pubs Up There.The Florist,The Palm,The Freedom,To Name A Few.Plus,There's Plenty More To Go At If You Don't Fancy Any Of Them.

And The Best Bit Is,It's All Downhill On Your Way Home.:thumbsup:

Bonjour compatriote!

I too live in Hillsborough and have to say i never go out there, unless you count the new barracks tavern as part of Hillsborough. Try the pubs in Walkley, like royal hotel or in town i like fat cat, frog and parrot (music is usually good) or even the west end for afternoon pints.

I hope you'll enjoy as much as i do, i've been here 4 years now and people are great (well most of them..)!

Have fun!!

Salut

Originally posted by graffy

Bonjour compatriote!

I too live in Hillsborough and have to say i never go out there, unless you count the new barracks tavern as part of Hillsborough. Try the pubs in Walkley, like royal hotel or in town i like fat cat, frog and parrot (music is usually good) or even the west end for afternoon pints.

I hope you'll enjoy as much as i do, i've been here 4 years now and people are great (well most of them..)!

Have fun!!

Salut

Finally I didn't go to Hillsborough pub. I must try in the center. I went to 2 concerts (The Misfits ans Reel big Fish, very good !) but not a good place to talk with people. I have some difficulties for going alone in pub, my english is not enough good for understing everything... well I know where is the frog and parrot (close to Jacks Records shop !), perhaps I'll try it one evening. Which day of the week is the best for going to pub alone?

a couple of weeks ago i went down hillborough one friday night with a few friends,after leaving the packed out shakey we went into the deepend where there were about 6 people in there,2 of us drank cider and we were informed that they had no cider wotsoever,so all 9 of us wallked straight back out again and went up to the queens ground,not exactley riveting in there but at least we could get the drinks we wanted.

The Queen's Ground is a good pub, properly run and staffed, with a nice old wooden interior and strange, but somehow comforting and cosy, orangey lighting. If it had a cask ale it would be excellent.

The other pubs in central Hillsborough are awful. Many people say this, yet they are still busy so maybe they won't change. The Deep End is OK for a swift 'un sometimes, and the live music room is good, but it could improve a lot. But it has possibly the shortest tram-door-to-bar distance of any pub in the world, which has got to be a good thing. The Barrack is good but a bit out of the way. Hillsborough Hotel is also nice but not in central Hillsborough either.

Nice pubs in hillsborough

Thats an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

There is a distinct lack of a decent pubs in hillsborough, depends what you're after really. Im not a fan of the crap lager you get nor the poor ventilation.

The hillsborough hotel's meant to be ok. I've yet to find it though...

My advice is avoid all Hillsborough pubs when Sheff Wednesday are playing at home.New Barrack is ok,real ales,sometimes have blues and folk nights.Queens Ground is fine if with friends and chatting.Crown near dog track has always seemed very clickey (sp?) to me.

45 years in Blue Ball tap room,but pick my times,no problems.

Archived