Tony

Modern life

Too busy

No time

Legs don't work

Kids need collecting

It's raining

Stinky person on bus

Yea, yea, plenty of excuses, but if push came to shove what would you do to adapt to life without a car right outside the house?

Have done since 2004 and havent looked back.

Saved lots of pennies and myself from an ulcer or too as well.

I dont live in a big city though, thank christ so buses here arent full of stinkies or troublemakers and when I have to walk, the views are lovely. If I had the chance to drive again Im not sure I`d take it, car ownership seems to be turning into a mugs game that ultimately only profits the government who are making people pay hand over fist, more and more each year for more hassles each year.

We could all manage if we had to, but why should we have to? By now they should have been able to invent something less polluting and cheaper. They (Governments) have had long enough to commission research into it.

You can bet it's only hoi polloi that will ever be required to give up their private mode of transport.

I could, but my 10 minute drive to work would change into an hour of walking and tramming. There are plenty of great food shops near here, so I wouldn't miss the supermarket.

I wouldn't like to manage without a car though. I love the independence and convenience that it brings to my life. Please don't take my car away.

Im sure i could manage but the fact is... I dont want to 'manage'.

I love my car and love driving (just as well too seeing as im a driver for a living) but its true that car ownership is a fairly costly business, that said... it shouldnt be as expensive as it currently is. Insurance companys love to rip drivers off, road tax is an extortionate scam and fuel duty is way over hiked. Its these three 'expenses' that make ownership as expensive as it is but lets face it... which authority is going to do anything about reducing these 'expenses'?

A: None.

Jabbers, i know your town well and know for a fact that it is quicker to walk from one end to the other because the traffic lights at the clock tower only stay on green for about 3 seconds... I have grown a beard between the co-op and those lights before now.

Modern life

Too busy

No time

Legs don't work

Kids need collecting

It's raining

Stinky person on bus

Yea, yea, plenty of excuses, but if push came to shove what would you do to adapt to life without a car right outside the house?

Not at all. Present work location means instead of a 20 minute drive I'd have to catch a tram, a bus and then walk for 20 minutes each morning and evening.

Buses are uncomfortable, usually contain some kind of freak and are often late.

Family live in semi-rural areas, meaning I wouldn't be able to visit them on Sunday night like I do now.

Walking everywhere is fine when the weather is good, thoroughly miserable when its not.

There is no way I could manage! My drive to work takes 17-25 min’s each way and I work shifts between 08.00-20.00. I did look into getting the bus and it turns out I would have to travel for 1 ½ - 2 hours and change busses 2/3 times!

You could move. Before the car became commonplace, most people lived very close to where they worked.

It's not a popular answer, by any means, but almost nobody cannot manage without a car; they just choose not to. Even I, with a wife wife can't walk 100 yards to the nearest bus stop, could live without a car if I had to; her DLA money would cover taxis.

Archived