Pay and Go. Why?

Tony

I have a new O2 SIM card and it insists that I should "Pay and Go".

Yes, they obviously want us to Pay but why do they want us to Go, and where?

.. and for how long? Will a packed lunch be necessary?

The point of the question is who on earth thinks up these ridiculous calls to action?

But it doesn't go. It just works as expected. If it got me dressed and out of the house you'd have a point.

There are a few different uses of the word 'go', not all of them relate to travelling.

A phone is a machine, if it works as expected, then it 'goes', eg "the engine wont go".

Pay as you go is better English, but they're both correct. Pay & Go is shorter, I expect that's one of the reasons why O2 picked it. Possibly Vodaphone have trademarked 'Pay as you go' too, it'd explain why each network calls it something slightly different.

There are a few different uses of the word 'go', not all of them relate to travelling.

A phone is a machine, if it works as expected, then it 'goes', eg "the engine wont go".

But your car engine not going is related to travelling... or not as the case may be.

Archived