Racist rap or hiphop

Well it is better than the last one :)

It still fails to really address the issue, what is the context of these quotes?

I have seen people say public enemy lyrics are racist. But only when taken out of context, when looked at in context it is racism within the black community that being parodied.

There probably is a case to answer, but since quite a few rappers spend their time parodying gangster culture etc., it is hard to tell and be objective.

I can find much clearer arguments about misogyny or homophobia in black music, but then that can be found easily enough in other genres too.

im open to the fact that you could be right. however if all i hear is an out of context lyric saying somthing racist towards whites i can now report it to the police. as the woman who heard the mans ringtone did,, yes?

im open to the fact that you could be right. however if all i hear is an out of context lyric saying somthing racist towards whites i can now report it to the police. as the woman who heard the mans ringtone did,, yes?

name one band that are racist in hip hop terms and ill check em out, ive given you other types of racist music

All those lyrics mention the term to 'cracker' which is a derogatory term for white people BUT which means the one who cracks the whip: a reference to the white overseers from the days of slavery.

A lyric such as "...could never be bought, so I don't flip when these crackers wave checks in my face." is a message of not selling out. To a great extent the US entertainment business is controlled by people of European and Jewish extraction and not 'black-owned'.

"they kidnapped us and trapped us in cracker psychiatric." Many of us will know that there is a disproportionate amount of black people in mental hospitals. This may be a reference to the psychiatric assessment of people of African descent by exclusively European shrinks who do not / cannot relate to black cultural issues.

"Them crackers will give your *** 30 yrs." Possibly a reference to racist sentencing ie. the penalty for cocaine possession (a 'whiter' habit) compared to crack possession (a 'blacker' habit). It was the racist white CIA who ensured that cocaine reached the ghettos in the first instance.

As for the Bun B (whoever he is?) lyric - that does seem to be advocating violence against whites and Mexicans, nothing more.

Society is still racist, less overtly than it used to be but it's still there often beneath the surface.

I see no reason why not. That defence was pretty stupid, you have to admit?

Just like taking "tomorrow belongs to me" out of Cabaret, it becomes a Nazi anthem, context is everything.

All those lyrics mention the term to 'cracker' which is a derogatory term for white people BUT which means the one who cracks the whip: a reference to the white overseers from the days of slavery.

A lyric such as "...could never be bought, so I don't flip when these crackers wave checks in my face." is a message of not selling out. To a great extent the US entertainment business is controlled by people of European and Jewish extraction and not 'black-owned'.

"they kidnapped us and trapped us in cracker psychiatric." Many of us will know that there is a disproportionate amount of black people in mental hospitals. This may be a reference to the psychiatric assessment of people of African descent by exclusively European shrinks who do not / cannot relate to black cultural issues.

"Them crackers will give your *** 30 yrs." Possibly a reference to racist sentencing ie. the penalty for cocaine possession (a 'whiter' habit) compared to crack possession (a 'blacker' habit). It was the racist white CIA who ensured that cocaine reached the ghettos in the first instance.

As for the Bun B (whoever he is?) lyric - that does seem to be advocating violence against whites and Mexicans, nothing more.

Society is still racist, less overtly than it used to be but it's still there often beneath the surface.

all good points and well made. so if i hear them blasting out at me do i have the right to report them due to being offended on racism grounds?

1...........no black metal is not dead..........its actually quite big and carries on getting bigger and sadly NSBM has also got bigger.

2: SKREWDRIVER arent the only neo nazi band, theres hundreds, plenty are still going

3: i never said they were mass market, i was purely showing examples that they exist.........as people seemed to poopoo the idea that they did

4: both forms of music are current because they exist...........currently

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=317737896&blogId=467080816 a list of white power bands, yes its out of date and yes its far from exhaustive but theres a hell of a lot on it, id prolly say theres more on it than known "racist hip hop bands"

1 .. OK I will let you have that, but can you name one current racist black metal band.

2 .. SKREWDRIVER are gone and that was 17 years ago. Please use another example, otherwise why not cite the black and white minstrel show? Something current please.

3 & 4 .. You are not comparing like for like This discussion is about mainstream racist music. You are comparing 10-20 year old bands that were never mainstream with current bands.

Where are all forms of racism are wrong, I find it odd that you immediately jump to the defence of specific music and try to point the finger at others at the same time. Why are you defending one form of racist music against another?

all good points and well made. so if i hear them blasting out at me do i have the right to report them due to being offended on racism grounds?

I'm sure you have the right to report it if you wish but I'm not sure what you hope to achieve as a result.

What happened in the mobile phone ring tone story, isn't comparable. That wasn't a case of someone simply overhearing it and going to the police. The ringtone was being shared between a customer and the person working there, the conversation about the ring tone was what was alleged to have been offensive and the reason for the complaint.

A parallel would be if you heard rap music you found offensive in a shop along with the owner of the shop and a customer talking about it in language you also found to be offensive.

Archived