Tracing ancestors

sanwitt

Can anyone help. My grandfather, Thomas Whittington, was born in Sheffield in1879 went to sea as a young man and married my grandmother in Glasgow, Scotland in 1900. His father was also Thomas Whittington married to Elisabeth Charlesworth who I gather owned a button factory in Sheffield. I have tried to trace them on ancestery.com but with no success. I wonder if there is anyone who can help me gather any information.

Can anyone help. My grandfather, Thomas Whittington, was born in Sheffield in1879 went to sea as a young man and married my grandmother in Glasgow, Scotland in 1900. His father was also Thomas Whittington married to Elisabeth Charlesworth who I gather owned a button factory in Sheffield. I have tried to trace them on ancestery.com but with no success. I wonder if there is anyone who can help me gather any information.

Try Sheffield Indexers or Sheffield records on Line.

I can't find a birth for the son or a marriage for the parents. Nor can I find Thomas in 1881.

Who owned the button factory? Elisabeth or her husband? I can find Charlesworths who made buttons in Sheffield but not Whittingtons.

Do you have the Scottish marriage certificate? If so, what does it say about Thomas the father?

Hugh

Link to Sheffield Indexers

That is interesting. We always assumed it was the Whittingtons who owned the button factory.My grandfather's marriage certificate (1900) states his father Thomas Whittington as an engine fitter and wife deceased. His marrriage certificatestates his age at 21 (born1879) Many thanks, San

There is a Thomas Whittington on a family tree on Ancestry. It has him born Sheffield 1879 birth - 1941 death (Bridgeton in Scotland) and a spouse named mary Edgar. have you contacted the owner of the tree..........assuming its not you

Thanks for your help but this is not the same Thomas Whittington as in 1900 he had a brass button factory through his marriage to Elisabeth Charlesworth. I just cannot understand why there are no marriage certificate or there is no birth certificate for their son also named Thomas born 1879. I was told by my dad young Thomas ran away to sea at 14 and when he came home at 18 his father set him up in business in a fair(maybe Blackpool). He then gave it up and went back to sea and when he docked in Glasgow that is where he met my grandmother Mary Edgar.

San.

Have you explored different spellings of the name or different versions of the christian name.

I have had Morton transcribed as MortoR.

My grandmother in 1891 is on the census as Ellen, in 1901 as Helen and 1911 as Hilda.

I have had Gales as Gayles.

I have found relatives changed their surname to that of the person who brought them up.

Keep on trying !!!!

Archived