Tracing ancestors

sanwitt

I do have the marriage certificate of Thomas Whittington and Mary Edgar married on14/12/1900 in Glasgow. He was aged 21 at time of marriage so he was born in 1879 in Sheffield. He was the youngest sibling, had an older brother and two sisters who I believe never married. san

That doesn't necessarily mean he was 21 when he married. He could have been born in 1878 and also they used to lie a lot in those days because of parental consent being needed under 21 or the men didn't want to show they were younger than the woman they were marrying or other various reasons. I would have physically checked the Birth Registers from about 1876 to 1882. It has worked for me and answered puzzling questions.

Sheffield Family History Society are transcribing the births at the Sheffield register office. We have now reached 1894 and these are online at http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/home.aspx

There is no birth for a Thomas Whittington registered in Sheffield or Ecclesall Bierlow in the time period you have given.

Have you found him on any census with his parents....?

Where did the information come from that he was born in Sheffield..?

Tuppie

No I have not found him with his parents in the census. I found(not me, it was Hugh.W) the mother elizabeth charlesworth whose father owned a button factory. All I know is he had a brother Edward Whittington and two sisters who ran the family business. My mother spoke about the family not my dad as he did not have a great deal of love for him. I think maybe with a life at sea he did not have much time for his family. My aunt used to visit them in Sheffield but I have lost contact with my cousins.I know they had a holiday house which I think was in Filey. All the best Sandra

There are 2 people on genesreunited, with a Thomas Whittington, b1879 in Sheffield (or yorkshire!!) in their trees... The same people also have a Mary Edgar, born in Glasgow in 1880...

Have you tried contacting them, or do you already know of them??? :hihi: :hihi:

Could "Thomas" have been his second name?? Or the name he was known by???

On freebmd, the only Whittingtons I can see are:

Henry, born Jan-Mar 1879, Sheffield

Bertram, born Jul-Sep 1879, Wortley

Richard Haydn, born Jul-Sep 1879, Ecclesall Bierlow

Fred, born Jan-Mar 1880, Wortley

Maurice, born Apr-Jun 1878, Wortley

James, born Apr-Jun 1878, Sheffield

there's also a couple in Rotherham...

Any of these likely to be any good??? :)

Archived