Dinner party - what do you say/do if

the food you are served is not to your liking ie; undercooked/raw in places ?

Bearing in mind this was an important dinner invite at the home of someone who could be a possible business deal customer!

I managed one mouthful then left the rest and after a couple of suprised glances from the hosts I replied, sorry it is delicious but I am simply too full! Leaving me sat there twiddling my thumbs while the others chomped away for what seemed like ages.

I've not had any feedback yet with regards to the deal and I am wondering did I say/do the correct thing!?

the food you are served is not to your liking ie; undercooked/raw in places ?

Bearing in mind this was an important dinner invite at the home of someone who could be a possible business deal customer!

I managed one mouthful then left the rest and after a couple of suprised glances from the hosts I replied, sorry it is delicious but I am simply too full! Leaving me sat there twiddling my thumbs while the others chomped away for what seemed like ages.

I've not had any feedback yet with regards to the deal and I am wondering did I say/do the correct thing!?

I usually don't say anything, I just push the food around the plate until the other guests are finishing.

I usually don't say anything, I just push the food around the plate until the other guests are finishing.

This was the whole meal that I didn't like - not just the undercooked piece. Wouldn't pushing the food around the plate without eating highlight the problem even more?

This was the whole meal that I didn't like - not just the undercooked piece. Wouldn't pushing the food around the plate without eating highlight the problem even more?

Not in my experience, but what I omitted, in my haste, is that I always ask for small portions, so by the time everyone has done they haven't noticed that I haven't eaten much.

I am obliged to attend a lot of these parties, and I can't recall anyone taking offence. Even with the small portions I am always the last to put my cutlery down, this seems to give the impression that I have been enjoying it, whereas the truth is I sodding hate eating with other people.

Don't worry. :)

P.S I usually end up getting a takeaway on the way home anyway.

Not in my experience, but what I omitted, in my haste, is that I always ask for small portions, so by the time everyone has done they haven't noticed that I haven't eaten much.

I am obliged to attend a lot of these parties, and I can't recall anyone taking offence. Even with the small portions I am always the last to put my cutlery down, this seems to give the impression that I have been enjoying it, whereas the truth is I sodding hate eating with other people.

Don't worry. :)

P.S I usually end up getting a takeaway on the way home anyway.

Ha ha, you won't be applying to appear on come dine with me then.

When we host dinner parties we let the guests know in advance what we intend to serve so we can be made aware of veggies, vegans, koshers etc.

Certainly if serving beef, lamb or venison I ask guests how they prefer it to be served and don't get offended if someone asks for a more well done cut.

I would be more offended by someone leaving the food, although with my cooking it should perhaps be expected.

There are many things that I simply cannot eat, but if we are invited out for dinner I make my little foibles known about when accepting the invitation. Nothing offends more than a guest retching away trying to swallow something that they find abhorrent.

Archived