Eckington, does it have any culture

mrchinnery

It has a pub and a chippy, how much culture do ya need?

I once lived in New Luce a village in Scotland, at the time it had no shop, one pub and nothing else. (other than scenery to die for) we had two busses per week to stranraer 15 miles away but you only had a couple of hours to do your shopping before the return journey.

if you missed the bus it was a long wait for the next one.

also a lot of the shops closed for lunch in Stranraer 1998

I would crave a donner kebab, that would have been the hight of cultured cuisine.

When the weather was bad the generator on the hill where the tv mast was would cut out and we'd take turns going up to start it.

I supose you find culture mostly in a city or large town as the council dictate to us what is cultural through their budget, they don't seem to like spending in rural areas.

Originally posted by mrchinnery

Hey 40summat, thats not culture; thats community spirit. I'll have that any day.

We went to France on our hols this year and stayed in a forrest. Absolutley no cuture except taking the bread for a walk in the morning and hunting with dogs and horses.

Yes there was a lot of community spirit, we had a petrol strimmer bought by all of us to keep the grass verges cut on the approaches to the village.

they then voted me to do the strimming on my day off work (sunday)

i wasn't even at the meeting to vote! did'nt know anything about it untill they came around one evening with the strimmer. :hihi:

Then after hours of strimming i'd get accosted on the way home to 'do a bit' for someone, ofcourse if i did one i'd end up doing ten,

i used to dodge into the wood and climb over my garden wall rather than come back through the village cos the buggers would be waiting for me.

Archived