Slightly awkward situation regarding names - what do you do?

nerd

I just wondered what do other people do in this kind of situation as I am finding it a bit awkward!

I have lived in my current house for a few years. In the first couple of weeks of moving in I got chatting away to a bloke who lives over the road. I don't bump into him often but on the occasions we do we normally chat for a few minutes, and if he sees us out in the car he tends to wave.

The thing is I have no idea what his name is, and after 3 years it seems a bit daft to suddenly ask. I only realised the other day when I told the OH I had been chatting to "that man" outside! Should I just admit outright to him I don't know his name or would that be rude? Should I just continue to chat without worrying about who he is?

Sorry, in the grand scheme of things this is really not a big issue, but I just wondered what other people do in similar situations?

I just wondered what do other people do in this kind of situation as I am finding it a bit awkward!

I have lived in my current house for a few years. In the first couple of weeks of moving in I got chatting away to a bloke who lives over the road. I don't bump into him often but on the occasions we do we normally chat for a few minutes, and if he sees us out in the car he tends to wave.

The thing is I have no idea what his name is, and after 3 years it seems a bit daft to suddenly ask. I only realised the other day when I told the OH I had been chatting to "that man" outside! Should I just admit outright to him I don't know his name or would that be rude? Should I just continue to chat without worrying about who he is?

Sorry, in the grand scheme of things this is really not a big issue, but I just wondered what other people do in similar situations?

do a sponsored run, and get him to add his name to the sheet.

Steal his post?

Ask another neighbour.

Ask hime to witness your signature on a bogus form

Ask him outright.

ask in local shop, his milkman if he has one or maybe the postie but explain why you want to know first - its easy done. the woman across the road called me susan for years. Susan was my next door neighbours daughter. I just let it ride but finally did tell her I was Linda and we just laughed about it:D:D

We called our neighbour Mr Next Door for years (not to his face obviously) and now we have found out what his name his, we still usually call him Mr Next Door from force of habit. Fortunately the bloke on the other side drives a van with his name on, but we do also have Woman Over the Road.

Archived