A very happy eid

I have already posted on the Sheffield Discussion's one;

Eid Mubarak to all may you all have a good one. Eid Mubarak to PT, my girl Catz (where are thou? We need you on here ) Tab1...OMG Tab where are you too? Miss your posts mate. Hope to see you posting soon, Bazooka, Futo, Mafya, Upinwath, Shaz &ChiefKicker. Sorry if I have missed anyone else off.

Happy eid to you Bizzle have a good one

Some men may go to a local cemetery after Eid prayers to remember the deceased and pray for them. When they return home they will congratulate family, friends, and other Muslims and visit relatives across the city. They may also cook traditional food and sweets for their relatives. Bengali dishes and Pakistani Dishes such as samosas, Siweya, rice and Handesh, Noonor Bora, and fulab are particularly popular within those communities. WIKI

Yum yum!

Happy Eid to all!

I just wondered if PT or indeed any others who practice Islam could tell us what Eid is all about. I know it marks the end of Ramadan, but beyond that I'm must confess I know very little more about it.

Like Christmas for "westerners" it's a time of gift-giving, for spending time with loved-ones,- family and friends, enjoying sharing mealtimes with loved ones..

The celebration of Eid Ul Fitr is to mark the end of the Ramadan fast, as you say, obelix...

This Eid (Eid-ul-fitr) is remembering the Angel Gibrel (Gabriel) bringing part of the revelation of the Qur'an to the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)

The coming Eid (Eid Ul Adha) in about eight or nine weeks time marks Ibrahim's (Abraham, PBUH) test, when God asked him to sacrifice his son.

wiki explains it thus:-

Eid Ul Adha is also about spending time with family and friends, sacrifice, and thanksgiving for being able to afford food and housing. In traditional or agrarian settings, each family would sacrifice a domestic animal, such as a sheep, goat, cow, or camel, by slaughter (though some contemporary Muslims do not sacrifice an animal as part of their observance, it is still a very popular tradition, even in Muslim communities in Europe). The meat would then be divided into three equal parts to be distributed to others. The family eats one third, another third is given to other relatives, friends or neighbours, and the other third is given to the poor as a gift.

they are known as Big Eid, and Little Eid.

Archived