A question of culture - how should it evolve?

Which would be your preferred option ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be your preferred option ?

• Hard Multiculturalism
    • Soft Multiculturalism
    • Melting Pot
    • Monoculturalism
    • Other

When a chap decides to emigrate he must understand he will change, because he will be living in a foreign land with different customs and ways. If he's not prepared to addapt to the culture of the land he has chosen to move to then he's a nasty surprise in store if he thinks he'll be welcome.

To a point yes.

If I went to a Muslim country as a women i'd certainly cover my head and not go round in a short skirt and i'd make an effort to learn the language.

Equally however if I was in Iran I still wouldn't approve of, or partake in stoning or any other kind of corporal punishment irrespective of whether it is part of the culture or not simply because I don't approve.

quick put on yer tin foil hat, the rays are getting through to you again

From the Communist Party Of Great Britain, my bold:

•Communists are internationalists. Everywhere we strive for the closest unity and agreement of working class and progressive parties of all countries. We oppose every manifestation of national sectionalism. It is an internationalist duty to uphold the principle, ‘One state, one party’. To the extent that the European Union becomes a state then that necessitates EU-wide trade unions and a Communist Party of the EU.

•The working class must be organised globally. Without a global Communist Party, a Communist International, the struggle against capital is weakened and lacks coordination.

http://www.cpgb.org.uk/worker/whatwefightfor.php

Many people at the top of the Labour party are closet Communists.

Why when all cultures around the world have positive and negative aspects do those in favour of multiculturalism believe only positive results will ensue?

I'm a culturalist (Made up word) as I believe our culture is superior to that of other nations, but I respect the differing levels of association we have with our neighbours. I would prefer to see the preservation of all cultures with an open approach to one another rather then thinking if we mix all cultures up we will somehow all benefit.

The cultures of the world are like a paint set. Varied and wonderful. Mix them all together and what do you get? That nasty purple colour that has no use.

MONOCULTURALISM!

I'm sick of bloody political correctness and immigrants getting housing paid for them by the taxpayer.

So an immigrant should give up all his past? No more Bollywood films being shown in the UK? All books and newspapers in the English language only? You do take a very hard line.

So an immigrant should give up all his past? No more Bollywood films being shown in the UK? All books and newspapers in the English language only? You do take a very hard line.

The vast majority of bollywood films are consumed by those of Indian origin while books can be translated in 99% of cases.

The vast majority of bollywood films are consumed by those of Indian origin while books can be translated in 99% of cases.

A wonderful fact for me to take home, but you've not helped me much.

I'm just confused as to how monoculturalism would work. Are we going to tie immigrants down and make them watch Eastenders? I bet it's a simple way of making them return home again, but it's still cruel. ;)

Why when all cultures around the world have positive and negative aspects do those in favour of multiculturalism believe only positive results will ensue?

I'm a culturalist (Made up word) as I believe our culture is superior to that of other nations, but I respect the differing levels of association we have with our neighbours. I would prefer to see the preservation of all cultures with an open approach to one another rather then thinking if we mix all cultures up we will somehow all benefit.

The cultures of the world are like a paint set. Varied and wonderful. Mix them all together and what do you get? That nasty purple colour that has no use.

I don't really think anyone is suggesting mixing them all up!

For example having been to both India and Pakistan I can say that the legacy of the British Empire has certainly has had a lasting impact of their culture, often in many positive ways, their railways and attitudes towards them are one very good example of this. The British have had an impact on their culture but I certainly wouldn't suggest they have a similar culture to ours.

Similarly in this country we have shops selling foods, carpets and art that we hadn't even heard of 50 years ago. Of course there are negative effects too, i'd be naive to suggest there aren't, in both in India and Britain due to immigration.

My personal take is that it is often (but not always) the most forward thinking, 'liberal' and open minded people who dare to take the first step (and have the resources to do so) and migrate to another country.

Archived