What is the law concerning working 4 hours, are you entitled to a break?

This is one of the reasons why employers take on a lot of part time staff.

If some one works 5 half days then they wouldn't be entitled to a break at all, so they can get 2 part time workers and get more working hours out of them than they can a full time worker. This happens a lot in call centres. I used to work in one and as I worked 22 hours a week but in small shifts then I didn't get many breaks at all , only on the one day that I did a full 7 hours.

This is one of the reasons why employers take on a lot of part time staff.

If some one works 5 half days then they wouldn't be entitled to a break at all, so they can get 2 part time workers and get more working hours out of them than they can a full time worker. This happens a lot in call centres. I used to work in one and as I worked 22 hours a week but in small shifts then I didn't get many breaks at all , only on the one day that I did a full 7 hours.

It makes sense.

If you need to have the phone manned from 9am-5pm, it makes more sense to have one person do it 9am-1pm and one do it 1pm-5pm to avoid the need to have a 15 minute gap in someones shift (and if they're doing an 8 hour shift, they'll probably expect lunch)

i worked 6:30 till 2:00 on my own on weekends at the BP at crosspool (jet i think now) so technically i didnt get a break, although it was allways very slow untill about 10.

hated that job, glad i got sacked from it. if it was busy it would even be a struggle to get to the toilet as i would have to leave the shop unatended.

Archived