The Pope's Visit

Are there any other leaders who are responsible for 'representatives' that exclude people, are responsible for death, responsible for child abuse, responsible for child poverty and starvation, are in denial about what happened in the holocaust, are not interested in science which could save lives etc etc.

Bring 'em over, we'll be happy for our Sovereign and Prime Minister to meet them.

I'd like our Pope to experience an attack by one of his representatives, contract aids through the attack and have access to no medicine, and to have a long slow death in one of the death camps (oh, can't because they didn't exist).

Just been on the news that they are struggling to sell tickets for the events the Pope will be attending. Didn't realise you needed £25 these days to attend visits from the sky fairy believers on top of the millions we're paying for this charade.

I find this odd - the BBC story had it's headline (in the 'Most Read' bit) changed from 'Thousands of Pope Tickets Unsold' to 'Church Anticipates Pope Success' - it was the same story.

In that story it says that the police costs of the visit will be c.£1.5 million.

It also says that tickets for events the Pope will be at cost £25 each, and they are expecting 55,000 at the Birmingham one - that's £1.375 million for a kick off. THere are two other events which I presume at least a few thousand will turn up for. Who is paying for the policing?

I find this odd - the BBC story had it's headline (in the 'Most Read' bit) changed from 'Thousands of Pope Tickets Unsold' to 'Church Anticipates Pope Success' - it was the same story.

In that story it says that the police costs of the visit will be c.£1.5 million.

It also says that tickets for events the Pope will be at cost £25 each, and they are expecting 55,000 at the Birmingham one - that's £1.375 million for a kick off. THere are two other events which I presume at least a few thousand will turn up for. Who is paying for the policing?

You and me, the same as for policing football matches outside the ground.

The football clubs who stage the matches that require police support do so as entities that pay tax (unless it's Portmouth or Wednesday) in the form of VAT, PAYE, corporation tax and rates. One could argue that the policing is funded by this taxation.

The Catholic Church - as a 'charity' doesn't pay tax.

The football clubs who stage the matches that require police support do so as entities that pay tax (unless it's Portmouth or Wednesday) in the form of VAT, PAYE, corporation tax and rates. One could argue that the policing is funded by this taxation.

The Catholic Church - as a 'charity' doesn't pay tax.

Not only do football clubs pay taxes, but they actually have to pay for policing anyway.

I believe that's only for policing inside the ground? My beliefs are open to change in the light of evidence though!

You are correct, that policing costs in the ground and surrounding area are the costs that the clubs have to cover. It doesn't include train stations etc. Although there are efforts to change the law, with the Association of Chief Police Officers campaigning for English and Welsh clubs to pay all associated matchday costs, it probably gives more weight to your argument from a taxes point of view.

Is his Popiness going to have police inside the stadiums and surrounding area though? If so, is he paying for that?

Is his Popiness going to have police inside the stadiums and surrounding area though? If so, is he paying for that?

I wouldn't have thought so - if God wants it to go off without incident it will, and if he doesn't it won't matter how many police are there - what God wants, God gets.

I presume that on this basis the Pope won't be having any police inside the venues - or perhaps he doesn't have enough faith for that?

I wouldn't have thought so - if God wants it to go off without incident it will, and if he doesn't it won't matter how many police are there - what God wants, God gets.

I presume that on this basis the Pope won't be having any police inside the venues - or perhaps he doesn't have enough faith for that?

I cannot fault your logic.

I have it on good authority that he only drives around in that Popemobile because he likes the smell of his own farts.

Archived