The Pope's Visit

I'm not a fan of the Chinese President, a country probably much worse in it's treatment of fellow humans, but still we all contributed to his State Visit via our taxes, such is life.

But China is a country that we do a lot of trade with, the Vatican is a (very) small "city" within a city that we do (as far as I can see) no trade with:confused:.

But China is a country that we do a lot of trade with, the Vatican is a (very) small "city" within a city that we do (as far as I can see) no trade with:confused:.

So you object to the Pope because of the abuses undertaken by the people in the Church, but you can overlook the abuse by the apperatus of the Chinese state, simply because we trade with them?

If only the Vatican had some commodity to trade, that would make it all alright.

So you object to the Pope because of the abuses undertaken by the people in the Church

Do I?

Where have I said this please?

but you can overlook the abuse by the apperatus of the Chinese state, simply because we trade with them?

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from with this.

OK why are you against it so much? Is it just the cost?

Just read some of your previous posts further back in the thread, including calling Pilgrims pillocks. I cannot think why a sensible person would put that. For somebody that has no interest in this visit or the Pope or the religion, you seem to hold an irrational dislike of the people that do want to see him.

OK why are you against it so much?

It's the fact that a visit by a cult leader is to be paid for by everyone in the UK.

If a religion wants their leader to visit, then the religion itself should pay for the entire visit (I'd feel the same, regardless of the cult).

including calling Pilgrims pillocks..

Nope.

I was mocking the "pilgrim pack", not the followers of the cult (£25 for a pack to allow you to attend one of the public events - which are not even public).

For somebody that has no interest in this visit or the Pope or the religion, you seem to hold an irrational dislike of the people that do want to see him.

I'd be against any cult expecting the entire populace to pay for a visit.

I have a rational dislike of all things religious, not just one group/flavour/cult.

The Catholic Church really needs to modernise. Firstly, scrap this stupid celibacy rule for its clergy; secondly, allow women priests; thirdly, accept homosexuality, fourthly; allow contraception, in particular condoms and fifthly, change its stance on AIDS (which is linked to the previous point).

I don't think church can truely modernise. We might speak the language of the day, and be culturally similar, but I think the very meaning of the word (called out, seperate) will always mean we'll be different.

Archived