The Pope's Visit

Apols, there is no link between your post and the article, it was for the sake of brevity and an attempt at being economical with my posts that I covered both in the same post. I am not planning on using you to vent my spleen!

I just wasn't sure what it was that you were saying exactly.

Cool. I was just thinking - after reading your post about how possible it is really for church to modernise. I had to conclude that in some ways it wouldn't be possible. As I understand it - church means a people called out. So if you are called out to do things differently, you're always likely to be different, so might never manage to modernise completely. Not sure if that is actually any clearer though..

one of the men in frocks has pulled out because he doesn't want to visit a third world country

"paraphrased from the bbc this does not necessarily reflect the views of the poster"

.....FIGHT!

it gets worse apparantly its because when he lands in britain there are so many migrants (bangs head on desk!)

one of the men in frocks has pulled out because he doesn't want to visit a third world country

"paraphrased from the bbc this does not necessarily reflect the views of the poster"

.....FIGHT!

it gets worse apparantly its because when he lands in britain there are so many migrants (bangs head on desk!)

I love it. Apparently Cardinal Walter Kasper objects to "a new and aggressive atheism". :hihi::hihi:

Diplomacy worthy of our own dear Prince Consort. :hihi:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/15/popes-visit-aide-dropped

One of the pope's top advisers on his visit to England and Scotland has dropped out of his entourage following the publication of an interview in which he said that arriving in Britain "you sometimes think you've landed in a third world country".

Benedict XVI's spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, told the Guardian, however, that Cardinal Walter Kasper had withdrawn "for health reasons".

He said the 77-year-old prelate's absence from the from the papal party, which lands in Edinburgh tomorrow at the start of a four-day visit, "had absolutely nothing to do with anything else".

Kasper, the Vatican's leading expert on relations with the Church of England, made his remark after noting that Britain was a "secular, pluralistic" country.

Asked by the German news magazine, Focus, whether Christians were discriminated against in Britain, he replied: "Yes. Above all, an aggressive new atheism has spread through Britain. If, for example, you wear a cross on British Airways, you are discriminated against."

His comment on the airline is bound to revive questions about why, in a departure from the normal practice, the pope will not return to Rome aboard a plane of the country he has visited, normally that country's nationalised flag carrier.

The next few days are going to be interesting!

Damn, sorry Llamatron, I missed your post.

I love it. Apparently Cardinal Walter Kasper objects to "a new and aggressive atheism". :hihi::hihi:

so the list is now

homophobic

paedophilic

sexist

racist

any more "ists" or "phobics" to add to the list?

Unfortunately they will never get the full bag as you could never describe them as ageist!

ha haaaaa:D

His comments are utterly ridiculous. Im 90% sure it isnt the aetheist quarter that protest against people wearing crosses, its the over pc brigade or possibly the religious nut brigade, most likely it was just a jobsworth.

Has Richard Dawkins declared a Jihad then? Has the atheist inquisition been shoving believers into the iron maiden and burning 'heretics'? Maybe the atheists need to get some bishops and cardinals to show them how it's done properly.

When the cardinal says 'agressive atheism' I think he means people who are no longer too terrified to express opinions.

so the list is now

homophobic

paedophilic

sexist

racist

any more "ists" or "phobics" to add to the list?

Unfortunately they will never get the full bag as you could never describe them as ageist!

Indeed! It gave me a good laugh though, what an utterly vile institution the Catholic Church is.

Archived