The Pope's Visit

How can one not be disgusted and 'het up' about the systematic child sexual abuse and cover up that the Catholic Church has perpetuated for decades or even longer, for all we know? It's a disgrace. The Catholic Church is a hierarchical, corrupt, secretive, hypocritical, misogynistic, homophobic institution which has given refuge to paedophiles. It's an abomination.

Dont be so reticent, say what you mean for heavens sake. :hihi:

Did you have a crush on a married catholic or something, and he threw you aside. :D

Dont be so reticent, say what you mean for heavens sake. :hihi:

Did you have a crush on a married catholic or something, and he threw you aside. :D

:hihi: - I know, I really shouldn't sit on this fence like this.

I nearly married an Irish lapsed Catholic and dumped him, am married to a lapsed Catholic and am a lapsed Catholic myself! Oh and I have very Catholic tastes. Does that qualify?:D

How can one not be disgusted and 'het up' about the systematic child sexual abuse and cover up that the Catholic Church has perpetuated for decades or even longer, for all we know? It's a disgrace. The Catholic Church is a hierarchical, corrupt, secretive, hypocritical, misogynistic, homophobic institution which has given refuge to paedophiles. It's an abomination.

I agree the Catholic church should aggressively root out anything and everything that is wrong and that is what is meant by separating yourself from the rest of the world or if you like to put it another way separating yourself from the ills of society where basically social services and the police leave paedophiles be.

:hihi: - I know, I really shouldn't sit on this fence like this.

I nearly married an Irish lapsed Catholic and dumped him, am married to a lapsed Catholic and am a lapsed Catholic myself! Oh and I have very Catholic tastes. Does that qualify?:D

I dont know about that, but it shows how good the teaching of Catholicism is.

I also am a part Irish lapsed Catholic.

In fact I have not been inside a church, for worship, for over 45 years.

But whenever fools, who know nothing about it, rail against the church for reasons only they know, I find myself rising to defend it.

Even though I know many parts of it, if not all, are indefensible.

I will say this though, given the choice of the worlds two major religions to live under:

Catholicism would be my choice by light years.

I dont know about that, but it shows how good the teaching of Catholicism is.

I also am a part Irish lapsed Catholic.

In fact I have not been inside a church, for worship, for over 45 years.

But whenever fools, who know nothing about it, rail against the church for reasons only they know, I find myself rising to defend it.

Even though I know many parts of it, if not all, are indefensible.

I will say this though, given the choice of the worlds two major religions to live under:

Catholicism would be my choice by light years.

It illustrates how deeply ingrained it is and I was having this same conversation with a fellow lapsed Catholic, this morning. Even now when I go into a Catholic Church it kicks in and the reflex to genuflect and cross myself is so strong that I have to consciously not do it. Perhaps we should form a Council for Ex Catholics of Britain?:hihi: However, I could nor would ever defend the Church. The Flying Spaghetti Monster would be my religion of choice, if I had to choose.

What makes him the holiest man on Earth?

Who is holier than he is?

It all depends on your definition of holy.

The first Pope was Simon Peter, from then it has been an unbroken line down to Ratzinger, or if you are of a religious bent, Pope Benedict.

Simon Peter was Jesus' best friend and body guard.

So surely, to be a direct religious descendant of the man who all our society is based upon, makes him the forerunner I would say.

Isn't it like having Tom Cruise do a state visit, as a representative of Scientology; then have the British tax payer foot the bill? Well, maybe it's not as bad as that, as I'm sure the Pope has more money that T.C.

I guess, at the end of the day; you have to consider, is it money well-spent? Is it a good investment of £12m (relative to where it might be invested elsewhere). If yes, then we should have him over for a visit; if not, then no. That would be an objection based on financial considerations. You could also make a moral objection (re: the hypocritical nature of his organization etc). I'm not sure which basis for objection (financial or moral) has more merit.

For me, I'm not keen on him, or what he represents, or his organization (think it stinks of hypocricy, big-time); however, if the country stood to benefit financially from his visit; I'd say have him over; and let him make a show of himself.

Archived