The Pope's Visit

Totally agree with that scuba, condemning a child for their activities as a child or the actions of their would be reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

I can't believe I'm even talking about this, I've always thought it's a non-issue, I don't buy the idea that he supported Nazism at all, but ...

I'm not attacking Ratzinger for his, or his father's, choice not to show "conscious resistance" at the time. But, if that was me, I would now regret that decision.

A friend of mine watched his brother have an epileptic fit, slip into a canal, and drown. My friend was only 5/6 at the time, and his brother was 12/13. There was nothing my friend could do, there was no "choice" that would have improved the circumstances, but whenever he talks about it he always expresses regret that he did not "choose" to jump in and attempt to save his brother.

I think we can all imagine incidents for which where we, or people we know, are regretful, even though there was no choice.

This is what I am getting at. If Ratzinger has expressed such regret, that he did not take the stance of Rupert Berger and others in the village, then I apologise. I respect that. But I have only heard the excuse, "I had no choice", which to me is not a natural human response, it's the response of a politician than is more concerned with opinion.

I can't believe I'm even talking about this, I've always thought it's a non-issue, I don't buy the idea that he supported Nazism at all, but ...

I was really supporting mjscuba's view on Ratzinger's culpability, milquetoast, rather than deriding the post he was responding to.

I think a period of silence regarding Pope Benedict would be advisable.

You are beginning to look like rascist witch hunters.

Firstly by the use of his former name, and also by blaming him for the coercion that forced him into the Hitler Youth as a child.

Shame on you .

Archived