The Pope's Visit

Not at our expense

So what's the difference between a vist by the Pope who is head of a recognized state, namely the Vatican and the head of any other state?

The country bears some of the cost involving any visit. What's the problem with the Pope in particular?

This thread is just an atheist rant let's admit it now.

So what's the difference between a vist by the Pope who is head of a recognized state, namely the Vatican and the head of any other state?

The country bears some of the cost involving any visit. What's the problem with the Pope in particular?

This thread is just an atheist rant let's admit it now

Because the pope isn't the head of a real state that has anything we need perhaps, rather a notional state like Lichtenstein or Andora which only exists because of a deal a previous pope did with Mussolini.

Not at our expense

Hear, hear!

If he wants to visit, let the Catholic Church pay the costs - if the English Catholics can't manage to stump up the money, then I'm sure the Vatican has the odd bob or two tucked away for just such a contingency.

I seem to recall a newspaper article that said something like three-quarters of people asked said that the English taxpayer shouldn't be paying out for the visit.

Saying we have to pay because he's a "head of state" is pathetic - he'll be here as the head of the Catholic Church. If he was actually visiting as a "head of state" then public events wouldn't be limited solely to people who follow his religion.

Quite a lot, actually. We don't have any major economic links with the Vatican, so we have little or nothing to gain from the visit.

Add to that, Benedict's part in the institutionalised concealment of child rape and you have quite a compelling argument for our Government to refuse to pay anything towards the visit.

Because the pope isn't the head of a real state that has anything we need perhaps, rather a notional state like Lichtenstein or Andora which only exists because of a deal a previous pope did with Mussolini.

That's the worst argument I've ever heard. Hardly even worth a response

Quite a lot, actually. We don't have any major economic links with the Vatican, so we have little or nothing to gain from the visit.

Add to that, Benedict's part in the institutionalised concealment of child rape and you have quite a compelling argument for our Government to refuse to pay anything towards the visit.

So because you say there's nothing to gain from the visit then it shouldn't happen? How many millions of catholics in Britain might feel they've gained something in spiritual comfort? The word "gain" doesn't always apply in a monetary or economic sense you know.

As for the Pope's alleged concealment of child abuse as refusal to pay for the visit would the government refuse to pay for a visit by the Chinese Prime Minister on the grounds of Chinese atrocities against the Tibetans? I'll bet the farm they wouldn't

Your argument holds no water whatsoever.

So because you say there's nothing to gain from the visit then it shouldn't happen? How many millions of catholics in Britain might feel they've gained something in spiritual comfort? The word "gain" doesn't always apply in a monetary or economic sense you know.

As for the Pope's alleged concealment of child abuse as refusal to pay for the visit would the government refuse to pay for a visit by the Chinese Prime Minister on the grounds of Chinese atrocities against the Tibetans? I'll bet the farm they wouldn't

Your argument holds no water whatsoever.

Most of the catholics that I know are more than a little embarrased by the present Pope.

His antics in concealing hideous crimes should have automatically prevented him from becoming the leader of a major religion. I don't want my taxes to be spent on his visit... and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone.

What if the visitor were head of the Islamic religion. What about the hideous crimes perpetrated against Muslim women and which he obviously condones otherwise it would have been stopped long ago.

Makes child molestation look tame by comparison

I'm not intending to pick arguments with anyone It's just the double standards and hypocrisy of some people I despise.

Incidentally I dont like the Muslim or the Catholic religions very much. They're both very much two sides of the same coin

If the head of Islamic religion (if there was one) was paying a visit, then he should have to pay his own security costs, too.

I don't see there's anything hypocritical about that.

Archived